29

I lay on the couch staring at Jack as if he has three heads. Everything he's just told me makes so much sense but also makes no sense at all. I blink hard a couple times, just to make sure I'm really awake. That this is really happening. That Jack really did just tell me everything he's been through with my brother.

"I know it's a lot to take in," he says, scratching the back of his neck. "I'm here for you...if you want me to be."

"I don't even know how I'm supposed to react," I tell him. I take a deep breath and stop myself from thinking about my dad. I knew his death affected Jack but it's still hard to think about how it's affected me.

When we first found out about the crash it was through a phone call. There were no cops at our doorstep, there was the ringing of the house phone at three in the morning. Mom was the one who answered. 

The second I heard her hang up I knew something was wrong. I sat up in my bed and waited for her to come into my room. She did after a few minutes, Jack following close behind. I was nervous and I could tell Jack was too. 

"Where's dad?" I asked, remembering that he was supposed to be home from work at twelve. That's when the waterworks started, that's when I knew he was gone. 

My eyes prickle with hot tears as I remember the hurt on my mother and brother's faces.

"Nadia?" Jack places his hands over mine. His voice is soft and it makes me want to bury myself in his arms.

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

"For what?" Jack almost seems amused that I'm apologizing. 

"For being a dick about everything."

Jack chuckles. "You weren't the one being a dick."

I shrug. "That's sort of true." 

"It feels good that you finally know everything," Jack breathes. He drags his thumbs up and down the sides of my hands, causing my spine to shiver.

"Thank you for telling me."

"I should've told you a while ago."

I nods, silently agreeing with him. Taking my attention off our hands I look around the room. It's fairly dark since the blinds are closed but the walls are white as well as the sheets on the two beds, illuminating the room a little.

"Where are we?" I ask.

Jack lets go of my hands, getting up off his knees.

"In a hotel room."

"Why aren't we at Nate's?"

He wrinkles his nose. It's cute. "Nate's trouble."

"So...he's working with Justin or what?"

"Yeah, but I'm not really sure I know the whole story."

"Is there ever really a time that people know both sides to every story?"

Jack shakes his head. "I guess not."

Standing up off the couch I focus on my balance. My head doesn't hurt as bad as it did when I first woke up, but my neck is killing me. It hurts to swallow. I let my hands trace the skin of my neck and cringe. 

I can't believe Justin did this to me. I don't know what he would've done if it weren't for Jack. 

"I kicked his ass, don't worry," Jack says, grabbing my hands again. I love the feeling of his warm skin on mine. I never want him to let go.

"Thank you," I croak. His eye is puffed up and he has a huge knot on his cheek. There's some dried blood on the corner of his lip and I'm pretty sure his nose is bruising. "I see he kicked your ass back?"