24

Johnny's doesn't look as sketchy as I thought it would. I've never been inside a bar before considering I'm only seventeen, but I've heard millions of horror stories from older classmates of mine. This bar doesn't seem anything like the ones in those stories. It has a sort of homey feel to it. 

As we walk farther into the bar I make sure not to let go of Jack's hand. After everything that happened in the last few minutes I can tell he's a mess. If me holding his hand makes things a little better then so be it. 

I honestly had no idea he was so nervous. What was it that made him freak out? Was it the thought of not finding Jack? Was it the thought of finding him but not knowing what to do or say? Was it the thought of finding him but him not wanting to be found? I know those are the things that I'm worried about.

Out of nowhere Jack tightens his grip on my hand. I feel him tense beside me. He must see something. I stop walking and scan around the dimly lit area to find what's making him so on edge. Nothing interesting enough catches my eye. All I can make out is just a bunch of guys and girls sitting around drinking. No sight of my brother anywhere. 

"You good?" I question, leaning into him. He looks down at me and tries his best to mimic a smile, instead it just looks like he has to go to the bathroom. "It's okay, we can leave if you want."

Jack shakes his head. "Are you kidding? No way, we're staying."

"He's in the back," Nate says, coming up behind us. My heart stops. Is he talking about Jack? "Justin," he quickly adds. My face falls. Justin? Again with that name. Who is he? I'm pretty sure neither Jack nor Nate have ever mentioned him until today. I turn back and share a quick glance with Hannah, she's thinking the same thing.

"Uh, alright," Jack says. He lets go of my hand when we start walking again, letting Nate take the lead.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. Ignoring the question I really want to ask him I stick to the less complicated one, "who's Justin?" Apparently it's not as simple as I thought because Jack doesn't answer me with words, all he does is make a weird noise in the back of his throat. Something's not right and I'm starting to get why he had that panic attack. There's something that's being hidden and it's about to be unraveled. 

Jack

Justin is wearing one of Johnson's t-shirts but of fucking course he's not sitting at the table with him. He's not sitting anywhere in the bar. He's. Not. Even. Here. I fucking knew it. I have the sudden urge to punch Justin square in the jaw, only I know that'd just spell for more trouble, so I just keep clenching and unclenching my fists. 

Nadia and Hannah shouldn't be here. There's no need for them to have to come in contact with Schranger today considering Johnson isn't even with him like he said he would be. I grab the back of Nate's shirt and pull him away before Justin sees us.

"Get these two out of here right now," I order, a look of urgency on my face. Usually Nate doesn't like when I boss him around, but right now he knows how important keeping these girls safe is to me so he doesn't even hesitate before taking both of their wrists in his hands.

"Wait, what?" Nadia says, trying to unattach herself from him. "Let me go!" 

"I'm going to kick you in the balls!" Hannah threatens, pulling away. 

I pray Justin doesn't hear the struggle and find his attention wavering to where all the noise is coming from. "Guys, it's okay, let him take you out of here," I plead. "Nate will give you his keys so you can wait in the car, we'll be out in five minutes tops."