Chapter 3 - Hup, two, three, four

Talon The Change

Copyright 2013 © All Right Reserved

Edited By: LadyDawn

Chapter 3 Hup, two, three, four

(Talon)

After pottering around the house not really getting anything done, Talon revived with a long hot shower while creating imaginary scenes with Hayden and practising what she'd say. Unfortunately, most didn't even make it all the way through; she hated the thought of hurting him.

Or worse telling him the truth.

One date?

Could that hurt?

Would he try to kiss her?

Would that be good?

She checked her pulse. "Nope not racing," she murmured aloud.

Her traitorous heart started to accelerate when she pictured that beautifully sculpted blood splattered body. Oh boy!

Sighing she wrapped the towel around her and stepped out into the misty bathroom. Glancing at the clock she swore, just how many scenarios had she practised? She quickly re-plaited her hair with quick nimble fingers; slid on short black bike pants under school track pants, smiling ruefully at the thought of what Coach would be likely to dress her in.

Men!

Pulling on her black Wolverine sport T-shirt she stopped in front of the mirror, her top reminded her of last week when she had watched an old X-men movie on TV, she decided to try out his move. Crossing her arms across her chest she willed her claws extend, she grimaced at the few millimetres extension surrounded by an arm of deep chestnut hair. "How pathetic, I'll have to work on that!"

Grabbing her jacket and sport bag she sprinted to her car.

Sliding her 56 Chevrolet coupe in next to Jam's car, a large African American guy on her team, she knew she wouldn't be the only one coming back on the bus. She waited for Elli before they boarded the bus together. She looked fantastic in jeans and a black wool jumper, her green eyes accentuated by the dark fabric. Talon explained to Coach who Elli was, being impressed by her height, he demanded she come to the girl's practice next week.

Once seated they only had a little chance to talk, Coach started with his magnetic clipboard on the offences and defences they would be running that night. Talon being quick and the smallest was point guard along with Craig. After memorising all the plays, Talon shifted to talk to Elli, "one more thing..." Coach started, "the Norsemen have... two new players." Everyone looked up with interest.

"Let's just say, well, there's been rumours."

All were staring at him with curiosity.

"After I heard the talk, I went to see their game last week, and unfortunately they are true... Doesn't mean anything though, you guys will be fine." Coach turned to head up the aisle to sit near the bus driver.

Jam screwed his face up, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Coach's face looked a little pale, but set when he swung around, "well...they're... good... quite large and fairly roughish." He said the last part really quick.

Hayden looked like someone had thrown a spider down his shirt, "What? How large? What the hell does roughish mean? So why on earth is Talon playing? How's she going to cope?" He was out of seat, right up in coach's face. Talon had to admit that was a brave move in itself.

"Sit. Down. Boy. Talon will be fine," he turned toward her "it's one of the reasons that I wanted you to play." Talon glanced at Hayden who looked both incredulous and angry at that statement. He actually was spluttering.

"Talon you're very quick and female. I don't think that they will think that you're a threat," he nodded to himself.

Talon wasn't too worried about herself, she shrugged and turned back to Elli. Hayden, on the other hand was still apparently not happy.

"A threat? So what happens when she strips the ball off one of them? Suddenly they see her as what? A.... threat! Then what?" Talon was surprised how much anger and protectiveness leaked into his voice. Did he really feel she was that incapable of protecting herself?

"Settle down Hayden, it's not a Thai kick boxing match in spaghetti... it's a game... just wait until you see them. Remember the enemy may have superior fire strength, but great minds win the battle." Coach made it clear there was to be no more questions. His face had taken on the colour of blotched salami, making Talon again thank God she was vegetarian. Talon pursed her lips trying not to smile and continued her conversation with Elli, but saw Hayden turn from up the aisle to gaze at her, with a 'look' on his face.

The rest of the team was busy making giants out of molehills, "Imagine if they were..." the descriptions getting sillier and sillier. By the time they pulled up the two new players would be androids from some Japanese techno company if not Mars.

Elli was telling Talon about herself. They were chatting animatedly about their hobbies when the bus pulled up outside of the stadium.

"I like snowboarding and all that stuff," Talon was saying, "but mostly I love to dance."

"Oh God, I'm so not good at dancing... I have six left feet," Elli cringed making Talon giggle.

"I love it... you can be anything. I can't stand people looking at me when I'm just me."

"Just you?"

"Dancing's so therapeutic, I get to pretend I'm someone else you know?" Like someone that could fall in love.

"Yeah I guess being someone else for a while... I can see why that would be appealing. How old are you?" Elli asked her.

"Eighteen. And you?"

"Wow! I thought you were... younger. Wow, eighteen! Me too, well... soon to be eighteen," she grimaced; Talon was silent as she pondered what she'd heard about Elli's type turning eighteen and Elli's facial expression when she had said it. There weren't many in Elli's gender around... so she had never experienced the changes first hand. She wondered why there weren't many? They had to have female children as much as males didn't they? What happened to the females?

They only had a short trip, but managed to feel like they had known each other for years as they stood to disembark.

"Move out, straight to the change-rooms!" bellowed Coach. Talon was sure he had been about to call them soldiers.

Talon looked at Eli, rolled her eyes and quietly muttered, "Hup, hup, hup, two three four."