Chapter two - the new girl

Talon The Change

Copyright 2013 © All Right Reserved

Edited By: LadyDawn

Chapter 2 The New Girl

(Elli)

Elliada Campbell was pretending to be using the older, less used bathroom, yet in reality she was hiding out, waiting until most of the kids had left. After her first week here she still hadn't met anyone that gave her even the slightest indication that they wanted to be friends. Her mother said it was her looks and height that intimated other girls, personally she thought it was her embedded nature that they sensed.

It wasn't the nicest feeling being alone in a crowd.

Elliada was looking in the mirror, lost in her reflection when the bathroom door suddenly banged open with some force, a young girl with two plaits swinging wildly behind her, stormed in.

Her eyes flicked to Elli's and she actually smiled.

The girl moved towards her, but then she saw surprise register on her face and she started to choke.

Elli rushed forward. "Are you ok?" she said leaning around to look at the girls face while she thumped her on the back.

The girl nodded and indicated that she could stop with the thumping.

"Hi, I'm Elliada Campbell, but most people call my Elli," Elli raised her eyebrows, with her sharp vision she studied the girl while she recovered from her choking episode; even with her present expression this girl was really cute, rich amber hair twisted into the two plaits now hanging quietly, snaked down her slim waist to brush the tops of her thighs, lovely honey skin, with a slight luminosity.

Her face had a dash too much pretty to be called plain, but she didn't think she could be called gorgeous either. She looked sweet, but something about her also made her very appealing. Then she looked up and Elli saw long black lashes framing large, clear, electric blue eyes. The inside skin around her eyes was smudged black though it didn't seem to be make-up. Weird. She felt like she was being drawn into those eyes. Shaking her mind free with effort Elli wondered why the girl was wide eyed. Those blue eyes looked at her with astonishment and... knowledge even, what could she see?

She couldn't know?

Could she?

Elli took her scent in... human. The sudden tension was drained from her shoulders, she towered over the girl, so maybe she was just an overwhelmed junior. She looked thoughtfully at the girl; she hadn't even glanced in the mirror. Odd for the typical teenaged girl.

"Ah hi, do I have something hideous on my face?" Elli finally asked as the girl stared at her.

With obvious effort the girl swallowed. "Sorry, I'm still reeling from this shock I had today. I'm Talon; it's nice to meet you. I've heard you were very pretty, but, the description was nothing on the real thing. And err, no there's nothing on your face." Her voice was soft and husky, and didn't sound as young as she looked. Elli looked down at Talon's proffered hand then glanced again at the girls smile deciding it was genuine. Slowly she took Talon's hand to shake.

"Thanks... Shock?" Elli prompted, it was nice talking to someone she didn't want it to end.

"Yeah, Coach is making me play for the boy's basketball team tonight, I was just thinking about it when I came in... and the outfit."

"Really? I thought... Wow I thought only the seniors were playing tonight. I love basketball; it's not on here though is it?"

"You're right, it's the senior team and no it's at Northglenn, do you play?" Elli saw the excitement spark in her eyes, "You should come, hell, could I convince you to have my spot?"

"Ok, I think I will... come that is," she added with a cautious smile.

"Do you know how to get to Northglenn? Can you get there?" Talon was bouncing on her toes, her energy written in every line of her body.

"Umm I'm sure I can find it, my parents would know."

"We've got to catch the bus, but I'm sure there would be a spare seat, as lucky for me- not -most of the team isn't here. I'm not sure how many people you've met, but it may be a good chance to meet the team if you want to play ball in the future. I mean with the girls of course. But you know camp and all that."

Friends and camp! Elli felt her mouth spread in a wide wistful smile.

"Are you sure? It would be easier."

"Sure, they owe me anyways; I'll see you here at four."

"Wow thanks, nice to meet you Talon... ohhh what do I wear?"

"Something warm and either black or silver... Got to go, someone's waiting for me."

Elli watched her bound out of the bathroom with effortless grace and suddenly she realised she was not feeling as heavy as she had when she had entered the bathroom.

**

(Hayden)

Hayden was leaning against his car; he smiled as he watched her jog toward him. Even in jeans and an old jacket she was so cute. Although he loved summer when she wore those old style dresses. He really was worried about her tonight and wished fervently that Coach had even picked a freshman instead.

Who cared if they lost?

Well, apart from Coach.

And if they didn't win tonight they wouldn't go to the camp together either and he couldn't let that happen after last time.

It would be good to win.

But not at her expense, although... the silver lining might be there may be an opportunity to ask her out.

"Hey Tal, what are you excited about?"

"What music I'm going to be subjected to. And I just met the girl who started a week ago. Dane told me about her, but I hadn't even seen her until just then in the old bathrooms, she seems really nice and she's nearly as tall as you! She plays basketball and well, yeah ..."she trailed off suddenly blushing.

She bit her lip rather absentmindedly then she focused those killer eyes on him, narrowing them slightly, making them appear to darken in color.

"Hades," she always called him that when they talked about music, "before I get in, honestly what music is in your CD player?"

He stepped back and pretended to pull a knife from his heart. "Tal, you need to branch out!"

"I'd rather wear a bikini stuffed with two pairs of socks tonight than listen to that stuff you call music," she screwed up her face.

He blew out a dramatic breath, "Alright Mum!" He bit back a smile at her withering expression, "Don't give me that look... you listen to some of the same stuff."

He watched her flick a plait behind her back with a pitying smile. "It's got to be hard to bear when your Mum has way cooler taste than you."

(Talon)

Still talking about the game tonight, they pulled up at Talon's house. The elderly next door neighbor gave them a wave from his front deck.

"Thanks Hay, I'll drive back to school, do you want a lift?"

"No thanks," he looked extremely regretful as he said, "my folks are coming to watch. I'll see you later, don't stress!"

As Talon opened her door, she heard him take a deep breath. "Ah Tal?"

She slowly turned toward him trying not grimace. "Yes?"

"Can I ...err, talk to you after the game tonight?"

Talon swallowed the sudden wariness down like a solid marble. One look at his red face told her what the talk would be about.

What to say that was firm, but nice...?

"Sure. See you then." Damn she thought as she shut the door.

Talon stopped to greet Mr Bennett. "How's everything Mr B?"

After a quick chat Talon went inside and switched on her radio.