The Jenna (Keegan) Thing

Troian's Pov

I turn around and hurry down the hallway to the bathroom, not wanting Keegan or Ian to see me cry. Although it's too late, they already have. I try and wipe the tears off my cheeks, but they just keep coming. As I go to push the bathroom door open, I see someone walking quickly towards me.

"Ashley," I sigh as she pulls me into a hug. She brings me into the bathroom and waits until my crying turns into hiccupy sobs.

"What happened?" She asks sympathetically. I wipe my tear-stained cheeks before answering her.

"Nothing," I answer "I'm just overreacting."

"Well something had to have bothered you." Ashley replies, awaiting my response.

I exhale dramatically "Well yeah, something's bothering me, but I overreacted about it."

"What's bothering you?" Ashley asks quietly.

"It's just..." I trail off "The Keegan thing. And also Aspen freaking out over wanting to stay with him when I tried to take her out of the room."

"Is that what she was crying about? I heard her from my dressing room." Ashley says.

I nod "Yeah, she ran straight back to Keegan the second her feet touched the floor."

"I'm sure she was having fun with Keegan, and that's why she didn't want to leave." Ashley suggests.

I shrug "Whatever the reason was, it sure made the situation a lot worse."

"Well, I'm sure this'll all blow over." Ashley says optimistically.

I just groan "Ash, what am I gonna do about the Keegan thing?" I bury my face in my hands.

"Do you really think he's her dad?" She asks. I think about it for a second before nodding.

"Maybe just ask him if-" Ashley says before I cut her off.

"Are you crazy?" I half shout "You want me to ask him if he's Aspen's dad?!"

"You didn't let me finish!" Ashley says "I meant ask him if he was at the party that night."

"Oh," I say quietly "Sorry. But yeah, I guess that's doable. Although what if he says yes? That doesn't automatically mean he's her dad."

"But at least you'll know if he was even at the party. If he wasn't, then chances are he's probably not Aspen's dad." Ashley says "Unless you somehow left the party and found your way to Keegan." She winks at me.

I playfully hit her arm "Shut up," I half-joke "This isn't funny Ashley."

"I know, I know." She admits "Sorry. But it's true." I shoot her a glare. Suddenly, something pops into my mind.

"They're going to think I'm pathetic." I groan.

"Who?" Ashley asks.

"Ian and Keegan. I cried in front of them." I sigh. It's way more embarrassing now than it was during that moment.

"Hold on, I've got this." Ashley says, walking over to the bathroom door.

"No, wait!" I call "Ash wait! Ashley!" Without looking back, she exits the bathroom and walks toward my dressing room.

I stay right where I am. It's already awkward enough being around Keegan as it is, and I don't want to be there when Ashley tries to fix things.

***

*Ashley's Pov*

I knock three times on Troian's dressing room door before entering. Ian sits on the couch beside Keegan, both of them playing a hand-clapping game with Aspen, who still sits on Keegan's lap.

"Hi Ashley." Keegan says, looking surprised.

"Hey." I reply, walking over to them "I just came to explain why Troian...well, you know." Ian and Keegan both stare at me expectantly, followed by Aspen.

"She had just gotten off the phone with her mom," I start "Apparently they had a huge fight. Troian was on the verge of tears when she came to get Aspen, and I guess when she..." I trail off, not wanting to mention Aspen's tantrum with her listening to every word I say.

"Anyway, Troian's just pretty upset. That's why she started crying." I tell them, hoping my lie sounded believable.

"Oh," Keegan says "Well if you see her, tell her that I hope she feels better soon. Or happier. Or whatever you would say to someone after they got into an argument." I can't help but laugh.

"Alright, I'll tell her." I agree "And Aspen, do you wanna come with me? I bet your mommy would really like to see you right now." Aspen climbs down from Keegan's lap and takes my hand. Together we walk back into the bathroom where Troian nervously awaits. When she sees Aspen, her face lights up.

Aspen drops my hand and runs over to Troian, who waits with open arms. Troian scoops her daughter up, now grinning widely. They hug each other for a few moments, both of them seeming to enjoy the embrace. Now that I think about it, the happiest I've ever seen Troian in my entire life is when she's with Aspen. In fact, the day Aspen was born has got to be the happiest I've seen her. Just watching those two together always manages to put a smile on my face. Their mother-daughter bond is unshakable.

Whoever Aspen's dad is, I love him. I love him for helping create the little angel that we all know as Aspen. He may not be in her life as her dad, or he may not be in her life at all, but whatever and wherever he is, whether that be down the hall or across the country, I'm so happy he decided to show up at that party on New Years Eve four years ago. Because where in the world would we be without Aspen?