𝑪𝒉𝒊𝒍𝒅𝒊𝒔𝒉 𝑭𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔

The announcing of the Quarter Quell is a very anxious experience for everyone. Silas sits on the couch, watching Lilith pace their living room.

"Would you sit down?" Silas says. "You're making me anxious."

Lilith plops down on the sofa. "I'm sorry. I just can't stop thinking about how horrible it's gonna be."

"It'll be fine, I promise." Silas touches her arm soothingly. Lilith smiles at the small gesture, then nods.

Just then, the room is filled with the anthem, and the Capitol Crest shows up on the television. Lilith sucks in a nervous breath.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 75th year, of the Hunger Games." President Snow's voice fills the room. The live audience cheers loudly. "It was written in the charter of the Games, that every twenty-five years, there would be a Quarter Quell. To keep fresh, for each generation, the memory of those who died in the uprising against the Capitol."

Silas and Lilith are so silent, anticipating what horrors this Quarter Quell would bring.

"Each Quarter Quell is distinguished by Games of a special significance, and now on the 75th anniversary of our defeat of the rebellion, we celebrate the third Quarter Quell." President Snow now brings index cards closer to his face. Lilith can feel her heart pounding in her ears. "As a reminder, that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of the Capitol. On this, the third Quarter Quell Games, the male and female tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of Victors in each District..."

Lilith's eyes widen, her lips trembling. The President says more, but she stops listening. Her breath starts to quicken and her eyes water.

"Lil.." Silas tries to console her.

"No, no, no. I was supposed to be done." She's now breathless, the tears spilling out of her eyes.

"I know, but it's gonna be okay." Silas pulls her close, holding her tight. His heart aches every time another sob racks through Lilith. He is so scared to lose her.

Later that night, the pair share a silent dinner. Lilith hardly touches her plate, her appetite is long gone. All she can think about is being thrown into another arena. She may have been able to survive and win her Games, but this? There is no way she will be able to go up against other Victors.

"You have to eat." Silas stops Lilith from pushing her plate away.

"Not hungry." She mumbles, pushing her plate away again.

"Please?" He looks at her with worry in his eyes. Lilith sighs before continuing to eat.

They have a journey ahead of them for tomorrow. They need to head back to District Two to prepare for the Reaping. Lilith has received notice of her 'allowed time off' from her clients. A part of her is grateful for having to be in a Reaping, the other is absolutely terrified because of it.

"What if we get put in together?" Lilith randomly questions.

"There are many District Two Victors, there is a really good chance that neither of us will be Reaped." Silas looks at his sister lovingly.

"You know I wasn't that scared last time. I mean, with all my Academy training I was set. The Games were nothing to be feared." Although this time, she fears them deeply.

"There is no reason you should start to feel scared," Silas says.

"I'm terrified. I still see William's lifeless face every time I close my eyes," Lilith says in a low voice. "I don't want your face to replace his."

"It won't. I promise."

Lilith wants to believe him. She wants everything to believe that she has no chance of getting Reaped. But, bad things keep happening to her, so is it really that hard to believe she would be Reaped along with Silas?