Falling Through The Surface

Picture of Layla to the side

Layla

"It's over, Tony." I said, backing up slowly. He was angry. Very angry. His infamous chocolate eyes that I used to love so much were full of uncontained rage. I saw him turn his hand up.

I threw my arms up, trying to protect my face, but was too slow. His palm seared across my cheek. I made a whimpering sound, starting to crumple. He grabbed the front of my shirt and slammed me up against the wall. My head hit the bricks with a sickening crack. I felt a hot flash of pain and the edges of my vision went black.

I knew I shouldn't have picked such a remote place to dump him. But he sounded so sincerley worried on the phone. I thought, maybe he wouldn't hit me. Not anymore.

I was wrong," It's over when I say it's over, Layla." He spat angrily.

Through my pain, I managed to curl a smirk on my lips and fill my soft voice with spite," I'm turning a new leaf, Tony. And you're just old news."

He let go of me and I fell to the ground. He turned, shaking his head and muttering under his breath.

"You stupid little whore!" He yelled, kicking my side, making me cry out.

"Get away from me Tony. You're not good enough for me. I deserve better!" I told him, quoting my worried mother who had encouraged this break up. She was the one who kept me strong. Told me women were superior.

But no matter what I did, I couldn't be stronger than Tony physically.

Tony cursed at me, and kicked me in the face. My head flung back, and I screamed in pain," LEAVE ME ALONE!"

He pulled me up into a sitting position, pinching my chin and making me look into him," You are nothing. Do you get it? Nothing. No one will like you. You're ugly, a little fat, and will never get anyone better than me."

I had heard this before from him, but it stung every time.

I looked over his shoulder," Ok. Please don't hurt me." I sniffled pathetically.

He smiled cruelly," See, all better. Now come on. I'll fix you up. Don't be bad again. Not again. You make me have to hurt you."

He helped me to my feet, cradling me carefully and held me lightly away from him. I stared at the wall, waiting for it to stop spinning, and for the ache in my head to subside.

Finally the wall was solid again, but the pain in my head was still there. Thinking this was as best as I was going to get I turned to Tony. He smiled at me, and I tilted my head up as if to kiss him.

His lips came down on mine hard. I was sure he was getting blood all in his mouth, but he didn't seem to mind.

I will always be better than you, I thought.

And I rammed my knee into his groin with as much force as I could muster in my state. Apparently it was more than I thought because he doubled over, the breath going out of him with an audible moan.

I turned on my heal, ready to run, but he grabbed my ankle. I tripped, and didn't even get time to throw my arms out before my face slammed into the concrete. The pain in my head turned blinding, but I scrambled to my feet and started to sprint as fast as I could.

More tension in my head. Without knowing it I was crying from the pain that put a black mist all around and gave me tunnel vision. My lungs ached, but all I was thinking was about him.

Was I running fast enough? I needed to get away. Water, to the peir.

One thing was for sure, he was going to be mad. If he found me, the beating would be bad.