Chapter 22

We left the building,almost all pain from Ollie's death was fading or more...we tried to forget it."If my calculations are correct,the safe Haven should be just through that forest just there"Thomas said,pointing at the large trees that stood tall on the other side of the city we were in."Why are there so many fucking woods"I grunt,adjusting my backpack on my shoulder as it was slowly slipping down."Yeah I've been wondering that too"Savannah agreed,combing some of her flaming locks behind her ear."Oh come on the faster we get through there the faster we get to safety"Jack added onto Thomas' statement."Yeah but we're safe anyway"I put my hands on my hips."We've only seen Roamer's on the odd occasion we're hardly in danger"I continued,Savannah and Nancy nodding in agreement."that's not the Point,Joules,I'd rather be safe than die out here"Jack yelled.He was the only person that called me Joules,everyone else calls me Jem."Fine"I roll my eyes,walking forward into the woods but tripping over something hard."Oww what the-"I stop talking out of shock when I lean up on my hands and knees to see a skeleton of some kind of animal."Nah,nah I'm alright me"I stood up,brushing some dirt from my hands and knees."No way in hell am I going into a woods that there's a dead animal outside of!"I yell.I mean,we had no idea if what did this was even human.It could have been a bear,a wolf or maybe even a fox.Either way,I didn't want to find out."Come on,it's one dead animal we'll be fiiiine"Thomas reassured me as he put his hand on my shoulder.Jack stood beside me and held my hand as we walked more into the woods.It was dark-ish because of the trees and every time I heard a twig snap I jumped.In all honesty,I was tired of all this walking and tired of pretending that everything was fine—everything is so not fine.

Suddenly,I heard another stick snap,but above us this time."Did you guys hear that?"I ask,not sure if I was just hearing things out of fear."Yeah,I heard that too"Savannah held on to Thomas' arm tightly as she looked up."everything's fiiiine nothing can hurt us here anyway-"Thomas is interrupted when an arrow peirced the floor in front of him."MAYBE IT CAN!"He panicked,looking up into the trees.Without a second to think,someone drops from a vine in front of us and holds a bow to our heads."Who are you?"Asks the person.They had a female voice but their face was covered by a mask over their mouth.Michael stepped forward,fixing his shirt and putting out a hand to ease the tension."we're  survivors,okay?Were just like you,we're here for the safe Haven..."He said in a calming tone.The woman in the mask lowered her bow,squinting at Michael."M-Michael?"She stuttered,not believing her eyes."Summer?"Michael questioned as he stood up straight as the girl who we now knew as 'Summer' nodded."W-where have you been Hermano?"She asked.Who is this girl?How does Michael know her?WHY IS SHE SPANISH?

"I've been with these guys,it's a long story I'll explain later"Michael responded to Summer's question."Oh right...I suppose you guys are harmless then if my little bro is with you"She said to us all.Oh,Now I get it.Michael is her younger brother.I didn't know Michael spoke Spanish...then again,maybe he doesn't.

That theory was quickly washed away when Michael started to speak."¿Dónde está entonces este refugio seguro, hermana?".Im sure they don't know but I actually speak Spanish too.What he said was 'Where is that safe haven then, sister?'.Which es really over the top to use Spanish for."right this way"Summer replied but in English.I could see everyone else's face that basically said 'the fuck has he just said?'.I chuckled at this as we started to follow Summer through the trees.