Chapter 19

I wake up.My eyelashes fluttering as I open my eyes.I remember what I had thought about the night before and my heart refilling with dread.Where were these thoughts coming from...?I hadn't thought about this nights before why now?

I raise from my position,my back cracking as I did so.I could already hear the distant chattering outside the closed walls of my tent."Is Joules gonna teach you about flowers today?"Asked Savannah,Nancy must have told them all about it after I had gone to bed."Oh yeah I'm so excited!I love flowers!"Nancy replied,a certain tone of excitement in her voice.Cute.I think I've decided who I want though...

I lean forward,unzipping my tent and stepping out of my tent.I already put my notebook away and it was out of reach."Morning!"I say enthusiastically,putting on a fake smile trying to hide the thoughts I was really having.

"Morning!"Nancy matched my energy,only hers was probably real."Where's Jack?"I squint looking around,the sun shining into my pupils making them shrink."He went off with Michael and Thomas to teach Ollie self defence,I told them we'd fold up the tents"Savannah replied.That's good,Ollie can't be expected to rely on Michael to keep him alive."Oh...Right"I stood up.I hadn't even realised Michael,Thomas and Ollie weren't here when I came out.Is that how...how interested in Jack I am?Lovesick bitch.

We folded up the tents and I packed up my things,Waiting for the boys to come back."So,did you get to reading that flower book last night?"I ask,sitting next to Nancy on a log by the river."Oh yeah I did!I like the Carnation flower it's so pretty!"she blushed.Pulling out he on and pointing at the Carnation."Do you know that Carnation flowers mean 'Death'?"I ask.I wasn't trying to ruin this for her I was just sharing my kind of unlimited knowledge."Really?I guess I didn't read that part..."She continued to blush.I point at a different flower."I like the lily of The Valley"I smile.Pointing at the small words beneath the picture."It's a symbol of Purity...Joy and love and stuff like that"I continue."Wow...they're pretty..."She smiles,admiring the flower."H-hey what can you tell me about...about poisonous plants?"Nancy asked.That's odd,why does she want to know about poisonous plants."Oh like...Hemlock?"I ask."well...what's that?".Nancy has no idea.I can't even tell if she actually read that book or not."Oh well it's like...Toxic and shit.It symbolises Evil and death...why do you ask?"I furrow my brow."Oh...no reason..."She sounded unsure.I didn't know what she was doing but I didn't like it.I just nodded and turned around,The boys were already walking down towards us.Jack slings my bag towards me."Thanks."I say dryly as I throw it over my shoulder,tying my short hair into a little ponytail.I could see both Jack and Nancy looking at me as I did so.It was hot as fuck that day so I unzipped my black jacket and wrapped the sleeves around my waist just beneath my holster."Hot"Savannah commented.She wasn't flirting but it felt like me and her were getting closer after we weren't exactly friends only a week ago.Just goes to show how far a friendship can develop in a short amount of time.

"I agree"Jack smirked looking at me in the corner of his eye.Hot.I look over at Nancy,who is basically eye fucking me.Hot.Why is it so fucking hard to choose.I promised Savannah I wouldn't hurt Nancy...but I can't put her needs before my own;and I can see a future with Jack...even if there is still a Zombie apocalypse going on.I didn't see Roamer's being an extreme issue;as long as we have a good place to stay."Right we'll instead of undressing Joules with your eyes,let's get through that river"Michael smirks,his usual sarcastic mindset peaking through."Im not undressing her with my eyes Im...yeah never mind"Jack tries to lie but gives up and starts to step into the water."Dude our shoes are Fucked"Thomas added as he too sunk into the river.Soon after,we all followed them into the water except  from Ollie,Who Michael carried on his shoulders since he was too short to be able to stand above the water.Oh that's cute.

"Euhhh I've got a fish in my pants"Michael grimaced."You sure it's a fish?"I joked.I didn't usually make dirty jokes but I just couldn't help it this time.He rolled his eyes and continued waddling."I'm starting to think this safe haven isn't the easiest to get to"Savannah complained.Fair enough I guess.It was taking the piss really."Now where would you go and get that idea"I grinned as we made it to the other side of the river.Ollie slung his legs off of Michael's shoulders and stands upright in the mud.

Just before we can say anything,the familiar sound of helicopter blades grinding against one another above us clouds our vision."We know your down there!Come out!"The voice of William says in a maniacal tone.Suddenly,A rope drops from their helicopter and six guards stand in front of us.Shit."RUN!"I yell as I grab onto Jack and run into the forest in front of us.I can see Savannah and Nancy running through another section of the woods next to us.Thomas was nowhere to be seen and neither were Michael and Ollie.They must have ran another way.

We come to a stop behind a thick tree and lean over,resting our hands on our knees as we regained our breaths."Jesus Christ-"I'm instantly interrupted when Jack pulls my back against his stomach,his hand across my mouth.It takes me a moment to realise why but then I hear the crackling leaves beside the tree.I can hear the foot steps get closer...and closer until finally,a voice calls out."FIVE!OVER HERE!"
The foot steps fade into the distance and Jack lets go of me."I think I just soiled myself"He chuckled."Yeah well,you and me both"I breathe heavily.I look up at him,his tall stature towering over mine.He looks into my eyes...Lovingly?My breath is instantly retaken when I feel his hands wrap around my hips and my lips press against his.His lips were soft and he had light stubble decorating his jaw.I pull back,my lips that had previously been on his curling into a smile."You have no idea...how long I've wanted to do that..."He smirked.

"GUYS OVER HERE!"I hear Thomas' voice call out not too far away.We take eachothers hand and sprint towards where we heard Thomas.
Everyone else was already here."Are we all okay?"Nancy asks,her breath heavy and hesitant."Yeah we're all-"Michael starts to say but gets interrupted when Three guards stand in front of us.I whip around.The other three are stood behind us.We're fucked.I take my hand to the pistol in my holster,pulling it out and holding it forwards at the middle guard."I wouldn't do that Sweetheart...This your girlfriend Volsen?"He asked,nodding at Jack."No...no she's not".I feel a certain hurt in my heart as I heard him say that.I mean...technically we aren't dating but mentally...mentally we're soulmates.

Suddenly,One of the guards points their gun towards me."I suppose you won't mind if we kill her first then yeah?"the guards chuckled.I see Ollie stand in front of me as I hear several gunshots go off.The six guards drop to the floor."YEAH!"We cheer.

"M-Mikey..."Ollie winced as he held on to Michael's arm.