Chapter Nineteen: Just Between You and Me... And Cake

Not a lot of time passed since when the six of us talked and I couldn't stop thinking about those so called shadow people. It just left an uneasy feeling in my stomach that just wouldn't go away, and I hated it. I knew that something was out there but that made things worse, I couldn't do anything while I knew that something had to be done. We had no clue what it was so I wasn't sure what to expect out of all of this. Was it going to be something simple, was it going to be life risking, or was it going to be nothing at all? All of the questions continued to race through my mind, so I decided to make myself some lunch in attempt to get my mind off of things.

I opened the door to the fridge and scanned the various foods inside. There wasn't anything good, other than some leftover chinese food. Since there wasn't anything else that looked appealing to me I decided to take that. I grabbed it and brought it over in the microwave oven that they had, and let it start cooking. I sighed, hoping that it wouldn't take so long because I hadn't eaten all day and I was pretty hungry. The smell slowly filled the room, which for some reason managed to attract Cole into the room. "What you cooking? Smells like the leftover chinese food we got as take out a couple nights ago."

"Yep, that's exactly what it is," I told him. I leaned against the counter, sighing again. "What are you doing here?" I questioned him, curious why he came into the kitchen. Maybe he was hungry too? It made the most sense to me.

"Smelt the chinese food cooking, so I was wondering who was in here. Plus, I thought I might as well get some food while I was in here, kind of hungry," He admitted. Just as I thought, he was hungry as well. Like I did before, he went over to the fridge, then gasped "M-My Cake!" He exclaimed. "It's gone! Someone ate it!" he kept digging through the fridge, this time frantically, before pulling away and looking over to me. "Tell me you didn't eat it."

I gulped, starting to feel a little bit guilty that I did eat it. I wanted to tell him the truth, I couldn't lie to him, but I didn't want to see what happened if I told him that it was me who ate it. He didn't exactly seem like he was joking when he told me about how Jay ate it once and he sent him to the hospital. "Um," I tried to take advantage about the few extra moments. I frowned, but nodded "Yeah, I didn't know it was yours. It was just sitting there, and I couldn't not eat it. I'm sorry," I just couldn't bring myself to lie, no chance in hell would I lie to any of them.

We shared a quick moment of awkward silence, and I could see the anger in his eyes, which slowly went away. He sighed "If it wasn't your first time eating my cake, I'd be pissed, but not this time," he told me. "I'll let it slide, this one time, got that?"

I stood silent for a couple of seconds, but nodded "Yeah, I just couldn't resist though!"

He couldn't help but laugh. "I see you're a fellow Cake lover too, huh?" he casually questioned me, still laughing a bit, which seemed to be more on the chuckle side at this point. I gave him a nod. "Doesn't mean you'll be getting my cake any time soon.

"Wasn't expecting it... Wait, do you smell that?" all of a sudden I could smell something burning, my god don't tell me "The food!" I could see the food burning, not to a crisp, but it was clearly burnt. I quickly grabbed an oven mitt and took it out, frowning at the poor food that I managed to burn. It was just like the waffles a burned the other day! "Damnit, burnt my food again," I glanced over at Cole who was raising an eyebrow at me. "What? Never seen someone who burns almost everything they cook?

"Uh, it's not that, I've just never seen someone else who burns food. I can't cook either. They boys say I couldn't cook to save my life," was he serious? He couldn't cook either? I thought I was the only one. Like, I can cook some things, like Mac and cheese and spaghetti O's. I can't even cook hot dogs right: I cook them in the microwave and always manage to blow them up.