Chapter Sixteen: Divide by Zero

"I'll start off by explaining myself: I'm Shadow Sparks, A Master of Speed," she admitted. My eyes widened and I let the wind around us die down. What, how could there be another Elemental Master of Speed? I thought that there was only one for each in one generation, what was up with that? "I know it sounds crazy, but I'm related to him. I'm a cousin of his, in some way. So that's how we share the elemental power of speed."

The guys came running over to us, both stopping to catch their breaths. "Why'd you take down your barrier or what ever that was?" Jay panted. He looked up at her, letting sparks fill his hand, as well as Kai letting Fire form in his own hands. Like I would, they raised their guard, probably thinking that she was a threat of some sort.

I put my hands up to let them know that things were perfectly fine. "It's okay guys, she'd not planning on doing anything stupid. She's actually here to talk to us," I explained and watched as they let the fire and sparks in their hand vanish into thin air. They started to calm down, which meant that they were willing to listen to what she had to say, just like I was. I was planning on listening to everything that she had to say but I wouldn't let her get away if she did try something stupid, which was still a possibility. I turned to Shadow, curious about what she had to say to the three of us.

"I was going to that monastery of yours to talk to you and your team, but then I walked into you guys talking in the clearing. I stopped to see what you guys were up to, I really didn't want interrupt. I was planning on approaching you guys, but you saw me and decided to chase me," now that I heard it from her, I kind of felt bad that I right away assumed that she was a bad guy or something like that. Yet again, anyone else like us would have done that, gone after her and chase her down until they got her.

"Okay, but that doesn't explain why you wanted, no still want to talk to us," I told her.

"Well, obviously you guys have noticed that I'm an elemental," she informed us, even though we did know about it, but what did that have to do with everything? Yeah, we were elementals too, but still, that didn't exactly explain things. "I wanted to talk to you guys about that. I've heard that you guys are a team of elementals. I was, uh, wondering if I could join or something. I know you'd probably say no, but I want you to hear me out,"

Wow, that's not what I expected at all! Why would she want to join anyways? Maybe she was like me and wanted to make a difference, and thought that it would be better to do it with a group. We did make up the only team, or known team, of elementals so it made sense that she'd come to us "Well, why would we say no? Yeah we don't know you but that doesn't mean we wouldn't listen to you," Kai told her, adding "Maybe if you just talk to us, we can talk to the others about it. The only thing is, this is a crazy time for it, because she actually just joined us."

I never thought about it that way, and there was no doubt in my mind that it'd be weird for the guys and possibly even Nya if she did happen to join. What I knew was definitely weird was how we found out she wanted to join... but us chasing her down and her being up front about it. I wasn't sure about about the others, but I was willing to give them a chance. It would only be one person to get used to and that shouldn't have been a problem. The only thing was that I wasn't sure of was if the others would let me have a say in it, I just joined the team yesterday after all. The question was: what place was I to voice my opinion.

I got a good look at Shadow who I now observed to look lost. I wasn't sure what she had been through before now but I had the feeling as if she was lost and had nowhere to go. Just by the look in her I could tell that she was hoping that we'd let her in. I could see it in her eyes, they just screamed let me join, please, I don't know what I'd do if you say no. "Oh," she looked down at the ground, kicking a rock away from her foot, but then looked back at us. "I didn't know. Maybe this wasn't a good time to come?" she was about to walk away from the three of us, which surprised me.

"Wait!" I called out, using my wind to jump in front of her like I did just a few minutes prior. I put my hands up hoping to make sure that she didn't try walking off again. "Hey, we never said we wouldn't think about it. It's just so sudden for them, and it'd only be another big change that they would need to cope with," I straightened my back then scooted over so that I could see Jay and Kai. "I know that I shouldn't have a say in this, because this was your team first, but I say give her a shot. You gave me a shot, so why not? We should do it now, let her join, that way it'd be less of a struggle to get used to this. You're still in the middle of getting used to me, right? Then just get used to two people instead of one," I saw the two sweat a little, which I guessed was from feeling anxious about what they were supposed to do. I sighed, adding "Come on, it's not that big of a difference from having just me here. It's only one more person, seven on the team instead of six, big deal. I'm not sure about the two of you, but I'm all for this idea."

I silence fell between the four of us until Jay broke it with a sigh. "I don't see a downside to this, so I have to say that I'm for it two," he turned to Kai, curiosity filling his facial expression. "What about you?" even if Kai wasn't on our side, there was still LLoyd, Cole, and Zane who could agree. And if at least two of them agreed, then we could give her a shot. Majority rules after all.

"I agree too. It's not that big of a change compared to just you joining, so what's the harm?"

I immediately saw the frown on Shadow's face turn into a smile. "Are you guys serious?" she wondered, hopefulness evident in her voice. I could tell right away that her hopes just came true, or how ever you want to describe it, because she seemed happier now.

"Yeah," I nodded. "We'd just need to talk to the others about it, but I don't see why they'd have a problem with it," well, at least now that I saw that Kai and Jay didn't have a problem with it. They were all bound to agree, how could they say no if three of us already did? I mean, what are the odds that the three of us say yes and the others say no without giving it much thought? "They're actually gone on a mission now, so maybe we can just get to know you until they come back?"

"Okay, but why don't you guys? Can you introduce yourselves? I know about the five original ones. but I don't know which one is which."

"I'm Kai," Kai interrupted, pointing to Jay "And that's Jay. The other's are out like Cass said. She's the newest member."

"Yeah," I gave a slight wave. "I'm Cass. You know what they're all the masters of, but I'm the Master of Wind. Well, we should head back so we can talk to Wu about this..."