Chapter 22: coffees and girls

A mess of gorgeous chaos

We arrived at the cafe and the smell of coffee got Elena excited. We looked at the menu and I asked Elena what she wanted, "matcha or iced coffee." She said, not paying attention to what she was saying but then recovered when she saw what she wanted.

"I'll have the iced matcha latte." I grimaced, "matcha tastes like grass." She swatted my arm and laughed, "maybe I love grass." When it was our turn to order, I looked down to see Alicia behind the counter. She looked shocked but recovered when she saw who was beside me.

"Hi, good morning." Elena said, not bothering to see what is in front of her. "Adi." Alicia broke the silence and that got Elena's attention. "Alicia." I said, she looked between us then pieced together. "I am guessing you two know each other?" She asked, Alicia nodded but I stayed still.

I haven't seen Alicia since 2020. The year both of our parents arranged for us to get married but we both declined. Our families never understood the reason why we didn't want it to happen but our parents told us that we should get to know each other, talk and maybe we can have a gathering for the 2021 Eid.

Talking about it let alone thinking about it makes me shudder because I do not want to get arranged with someone I don't want to be with. "Yeah, me and Adi are friends." She gave Elena a friendly smile while my girl gave her a nervous smile.

I was telling Alicia my order when I noticed that Elena stood far away from me to create some distance between us. She also looks very uncomfortable looking at her so she just looks at the display while I pay for our drinks. "She is very pretty." She nods at Elena then smiles.

"You better invite me to your wedding someday." I chuckled at her then she chuckled at me. "It'll be ready in 3 minutes." I thanked her then she called my name, "do you want to maybe, I don't know, hang out?" She asked, hoping I would say yes.

Unfortunately for her, my answer is no. "I'll be busy with classes." I ended the conversation and went to my girl who was patiently waiting for me. "Hey." I whispered then stood in front of her so I'm blocking the view of Alicia.

When she wouldn't meet my eye, I took her chin and made her look her up. Even though she is sitting down, she is still pretty damn short and so damn beautiful. She rolls her eyes then stands up when she hears our drinks being called.

I turn around to watch her snatch her drink and leave the coffee shop. I smirked then took my own drink without bothering to say anything to Alicia. "Elena baby, what is wrong?" She continues walking to my car then stands beside the door then sips her matcha latte.

I sip my own drink while smirking at her. "Are you done?" I unlocked my car and she got on the car without a word. "You missed the part where you told me that you had an ex-girlfriend who you happen to be friends with!"

"She is not an ex-girlfriend." I drove us out of the parking lot, "baby, come on." She scoffs at me then crosses her arms in front of her chest. "Do not 'come on' me!" I laughed at her attitude and when we reached the campus' parking lot. "We are not done talking."