Chapter 6: Vancouver

There's always

There's always

Another girl

Dear, Elena Rivera

Congratulations on being part of our amazing institute! Here are the next steps to get through your first semester with us. Below is your accommodation information, plane ticket information and your schedule. However, you are still free to adjust the schedule to your liking.

My new school just emailed me the information I needed for September! I was elated. It was July then, we are currently packing my stuff. My stepdad was going to send my stuff to the address of my new home once we're done. He wanted to send them to Vancouver already but told him that the school hasn't given me my housing information yet. 

Now that I had it, we could send it when everything was ready. They also sent me the picture of the place, and nobody told me I would be living in a freaking house with three other students. This was exciting, but scary too. I'm introverted and need my own privacy, hopefully I was not stuck with people that don't understand boundaries. 

Apparently two of them are from the states, one is from Calgary. The room I would be in would have the necessities. Bed, bedside table, closet and drawers. When my parents saw it, they were relieved. So was I because I didn't want to assemble them by myself, something about physically working around new people just before college irks me. 

So far, we packed at least five boxes ready to be shipped out in a few days. Also labelled them, books, shoes, summer and winter clothes. I had more but I just didn't know what to label them. I'll just put whatever on the box when I figure it out. Just packing my stuff was so stressful, I can't deal with adulthood already.

The money I was going to use to pay for the shipping would be from the gifts I received from my farewell a couple months ago. My last work day was on July 31. I asked my boss if they could mail my cheque instead. 

By the time they'd pay us, I won't be here anymore. Damn, things are going to change big time. Luckily, the front manager agreed. She's so nice. I loved her. I was closing tonight so I would probably be home between two o'clock or two thirty o'clock. 

It depends how fast the streetcars, subway and buses run. Sometimes they take their sweet time to piss me off. I mean, who does that? Why? Do people not have lives?

The people in my damn city are all like this. But right now, I was excited that I was leaving this city behind. Going on an adventure by myself, no parents, just me, my thoughts and school. I've always dreamt about this and it's finally coming true.

While we're packing, my parents were lecturing me about living alone, how I need to save money, communicate with my roommates and try to be nice and all the stuff that I'd been doing from the day I come out of the womb anyway.