XVII • Seeking Comfort in the Past

✩⋆。‧₊˚⭑˚₊‧。⋆✩

✩⋆。‧₊˚⭑˚₊‧。⋆✩

TW ; UNDERAGE SMOKING
[you can skip the short part or skip the whole chapter, summary at the end.]

"You know, you should come visit me in Queens sometime! I have some Lego at home and we could watch the rest of the Star Wars movies." Peter rambled as a goodbye. He stood outside the compound, Isabelle on the other side of the door. "Sure." She simply muttered, closing the door. "Oh!" Peter stopped her right before she slammed the door in his face.

"Wait..." he searched around in his backpack and grabbed a pen and paper. He scribbled for a second before tearing the page off and passing it to the girl. "Here's my number. Text me!" He shouted when she finally shut the door.

A phone number. Huh.
Isabelle looked at it for a while, repeating the number over and over again in her head. She would text him. However, she didn't know how. And most importantly, she didn't have a phone.

She sat around in her room, wondering what to do with the number. She then remembered Tony. He was always on his phone, calling and texting important people. She tried many times to eavesdrop but the conversation was always one-sided, making it difficult to make out. To her, it seemed like he was answering his own questions;

'How are you?' Then a second later he'd reply 'fine, fine' to his phone.

'What do you think?' - 'Yeah I think it's just great.'

And also, his sarcastic comments didn't help much. Failed a mission? He'd say it was the best one yet. Someone's shouting? He'd say he didn't quite hear the person.

He often used phrases that didn't make sense to Isabelle, like 'I'm all ears', or 'it's raining cats and dogs'.

So, she decided to ask him for a phone. She sat in her room, mentally preparing herself to ask the judgemental man. After summoning the courage, she went down to his lab.

"Mr. Stark?"
No answer.
"Mr. Stark?" She repeated more loudly stepping in further.

Silence. She was the only one down there, stark was probably partying away. It's all he did; rotting in his lab and partying nonstop. She walked towards his desk. I mean, he's the richest man alive, he has phones lying around somewhere, right?

She searched around for a few moments. She then opened one of the drawers and sure enough, three unopened boxes of phones laid around carelessly. He had no other purpose of buying them than to flex and just because he could. She looked at the three identical boxes and pondered for a second.
He won't notice, right? He definitely has like a hundred more of these.

As she took it, something behind it caught her attention. 'Marlboro Lights' she read the package. It was white and quite small, but the girl knew what it was.