X • Hit the road, Jack

・┆✦ʚ♡ɞ✦ ┆・

・┆✦ʚ♡ɞ✦ ┆・

It was already dark and late when the pair of assassins arrived at a Walmart parking lot. The winter soldier crouched In front of the snow widow to get to her level.

"Alright, here's what I want you to do-"

"Hotwire a car?" She cut him off before he could finish the sentence, eyebrows raised and an innocent look painted on her face. Winter already told her that they needed a car.

She listened to him, not because she wanted to, not because she trusted him. But there was this gut feeling that she had to follow orders. Well, that's what Hydra programmed her to do so no surprises there.

He nodded before she hurried off to the closest car. Luckily, There wasn't anyone in the parking lot. She scanned every car, but not a single window was open, let alone a door.

She checked every window till she finally found a black Ford with the front window half open. She slipped her hand inside and opened the door. She shot a quick glance toward the tree line where winter still stood. He walked over while she was busy hot-wiring the car. Winter just stood by and occasionally glanced around while Snow's smaller hands easily maneuvered around the wires.

It was a skill that she learned in the red room. A few moments passed by when Winter's attention slipped from the empty parking lot to the car which was now turned on.
Snow went to sit on the driver's side, hands on the steering wheel waiting for him to get in. He cleared his throat, one eyebrow up. "Nuh-uh. Scoot over." Snow huffed and rolled her eyes reluctantly crawling onto the passenger's side.

She checked the compartment, expecting it to be empty. To her surprise, she not only found an entire map of the us but also a wallet. The wallet belonged to "Scott Frandons", the actual owner of the car. There were about 16 dollars and an ID, which wasn't much but It's better than nothing.

She handed the map over to the driver and looked around for more stuff. While he was busy finding a route to a safe place they could go to, snow found empty wrappers. She then tried messing with the radio but Winter didn't allow her to. Said he didn't want to be 'disturbed'.

"Alright... we're going to Texas, that should be low-key enough."

"The place with the cowboys?" She asked with a small grimace. "...sure" James answered unsure.

"But what about people that are looking for us ?" she asked with a frown.

"Well, we're going to Texas to escape them. They won't find us there."
"Yes... but we're still in uniforms. And food?"

The driver thought for a moment before sighing and not saying anything back. "C'mon." He said plainly and the pair unbuckled themselves.

While walking to the Walmart, Isabelle finally came to her senses. As she stared intently at the soldier's back, she felt a wave of nostalgia and Deja-vu hit her.

James didn't even notice the lack of footsteps behind him till a small voice spoke up behind him. "James?"

That's what the man called me

By just turning around and having a closer look at her face he realized.

"Isabelle. " he stated with a small exhale through his nose.

The small girl grinned and took his hand.
They walked into the store with their heads down, trying not to attract attention.
They made their way over to the clothing section and picked out the cheapest pieces they could find.

They could only afford clothing with the 16 dollars, so they stalked over to the aisle with the backpacks and picked one out. James ripped the tag off and threw it away.
They then sneaked a few aisles over.

James took bread and water while Isabelle picked out goldfish crackers and pop-tarts.
While heading out, Isabelle picked a nice red cap and hid it under her shirt.

After paying, they walked out of the store as if nothing had happened. They fast walked
- or rather James fast walked, and Isabelle ran a little to catch up -
back to the car where 'Scott Frandons' luckily didn't come back.

While James was driving away, Isabelle wasted no time to open up her gold fishes. She had never tried them before, but the packaging seemed pretty.
She struggled to open the box up but figured it out after a few minutes.

She put one into her mouth and her eyes lit up instantly. " want one?" She asked with her mouth full.

He cupped his left hand, and Isabelle happily shared her snack.

James finally allowed her to play some music because she experienced an attack of 'What-ifs' and he figured that quiet music would be better than a million questions.

He of course had to reason with her to be quiet before listening to music, though.
She listened intently to the whimsical melodies and unique lyrics but got bored after a while so she just stared out of her window. The night rolled by as the air got colder and the assassins got sleepier.

The little murderer was fast asleep because of the exhausting day she had. The other one was listening to a mix of rock music and light snoring.

He found the music strange, as he was used to old-fashioned jazz but enjoyed it nonetheless. He didn't dare to complain after his newfound freedom.
He'd much rather listen to that horrific pop music for the rest of eternity than spend another second in Hydra, knowing neither he nor Isabelle were safe.

After a while of searching for a safe space they could rest in, he found a parking lot that looked quite abandoned.

He parked the car and looked over at the dark-haired sleeping beauty. He lightly shook her shoulder, waking her instantly.

She followed his suggestion and went to lay down on the back seats, the backpack serving as a pillow. James rolled back his chair and tried to sleep, too.

After a few hours of failure, his eyes finally felt heavy enough.

𖦹

Even though the pair was used to waking up at 5 AM, they somehow slept till 11 AM.
Not even the chirping birds or bright sunrise could wake the two.

Isabelle felt ten times better after her well-deserved break, being the first awake. She woke up the other one without even trying.

"Good morning Jamie."
"Good morning Belle."

"What day is it?"
"It's... today," Jamie replied with a small shrug, not sure what to reply as he didn't know the correct answer. But his answer wasn't wrong, either.

"My favorite one," Belle replied with a big exhale and an even bigger smile.

Jamie nodded lightly, his smile lazy as an old dog.

Isabelle had goldfish and a pop tart for breakfast, while James only had a plain piece of bread and a pop tart.
They then hit the road again, James trying his best to concentrate while Isa just bombarded him with questions.

୨୧

I've had the BIGGEST writer block ever 😭😭
But I'm backkk!!!!
I also changed the perspective so lmk what you think 💘