The Show Off - Chapter 10

I arrived home from practice last night in a good mood, our team having not only won all three of our practice games, but a feeling of excitement warmed my soul at the fact that I was going to be able to spend some more one on one time with AJ the next day. I came home at about 10pm, AJ already asleep in the bed and Sunset watching 'A nightmare on Elm Street' on the couch, one of her favourite films in her specific love for 80s slashers.

"Hey Sunset." I say, walking into the main room.

"Hey Dash, you're back late."

"Practice ran over. Where's AJ?" I say, acknowledging her absence.

"She's flat out in the bedroom. I wanted to stay up for a little longer, couldn't sleep."

"Ah ok." I say taking of my shoes and putting my bag and my studs on the floor, taking a seat on the couch next to Sunset for one of our usual evening chats. "What did you guys get up to today then?"

"Nothing much, we mostly just caught up. We grabbed some lunch after you left then came back here and played some Call of Duty."

"Sounds like you two had fun."

"Yeah, it was nice to catch up with her, see what she's been up to and everything. She wouldn't shut up about you though." Sunset looks at me with a knowing grin, playfully lifting her eyebrows up and down.

"Really?" I say, excited. 

"All damn day. It was sweet to see how much she cares about you."

My already beaming smile widens hearing Sunset's words, letting out a short puff of laughter to myself, pausing. 

"That's awesome. . ." Is all I can think to reply, which I do in a sigh of pure joy, lifting my head to the sky and thinking about how she makes me feel, even when we're apart, like I'm on cloud nine.

Sunset smiles as well, obviously having caught sight of my infatuation with her over the past couple days.

"She really likes you, Dash. It reminded me of when you two used to hook up."

"You knew about that did you." I say, guessing that she did indeed know about out hookups. Sunset is usually good at spotting these types of things. 

Sunset nods. "She told me that you asked her if she wanted to go workout with you tomorrow. Gonna try and make a move?"

My face turned completely red. After our talk yesterday and after hearing how AJ feels, I thought that it's probably better I wait for a bit, just to give her time like she said she wants. But. . .if she was talking about me all day like Sunset said, maybe she's more "ready" than she let onto me. Besides, it's not like I'm going to make out with her tomorrow or anything. . .just ask her out for a nice meal or something. I've never really done that before, hopefully she won't think it's too weird. Or maybe she'll end up asking me out, I wouldn't blame her if she did as I'm obviously going to be showing off my athleticism to her the whole time.

I decide to respond to Sunset vaguely, saying "Well see. . .", just so she doesn't bring anything up to AJ.

I watch the film for a little longer with Sunset before we both get lost in the film, so lost that after a half hour or so, I hear a snoring Sunset having fallen asleep. I take myself off of the couch, put on my pjs and head off to bed, sneaking a look at AJ before I do so. She looked like an angel resting on a cloud, her hair delicately spread around her face and her soft hands palm to palm under her head. Her face displayed a slight smile, unlike a common non-expression. I hoped that she were having sweet dreams, and that if I were to have the same, they would be dreams of the blonde sleeping beside me.