The Meeting - Chapter 22

WARNING: AA, TALKS OF ALCOHOL ABUSE 

I look down and see Dash's right  leg drilling into the floor, stimming as she attempts to shake her nervousness away. Her hands were clasped together, dangling between her two manspread legs as she picks at her thumbs, pushing, prodding and flicking at them. Her head hung low causing her ponytail to droop down the side of her neck. She looks as though she is completely lost in thought, an anxious, absent-minded wreck, as she waits for her turn to speak. Or rather, dreads for her turn to speak, as the meeting has started with the newcomer introductions.

"Hi, my name's Hoops and. . .I'm an alcoholic," The man says, standing up from his seat.

Everyone in the circle greets the man, "Hello, Hoops," simultaneously. Everyone except Rainbow who I'd be surprised even notice if the roof came crashing down. That's just how distracted she looks.

"Hello, Hoops. . .Hoops, what brings you to the meeting today?" Asks the meeting coordinator in a tender tone of voice. Hoops keeps his hands in his brown trousers as he tells his story. Seeming to find it uncomfortable, but able to get through it.

Rainbow on the other hand, keeps her position, her leg still vibrating like a motor. I'm sat right next to the girl on a separate chair, close enough so she can take my hand if she needs to, but far enough to leave her some room to breathe. Her head had seemed to fix its hung position, but after I look away for a second before turning back to look at Dash, I catch her in a stare right before she flicks her head quickly back to the floor. In recognition of her sudden movement, I place my hand on her leg, trying to calm her repetitive jitters whilst also showing my emotional support.

"You'll be alright." I say in a whisper, though it's unlikely she hears me as she hasn't yet seemed to clock my hand having been placed on her leg.

All of a sudden, a scattered applause fills the room, marking the end of Hoops' story. The circle all turn to look at Dash.

Still not noticing the space around her and the circle's now confused eyes on her, I give Dash a soft nudge, finally capturing her attention as she perks up in a few sudden flashes of movement. My hand falls off the girl's leg as my eyes draw up to look at her as she stands.

"H-Hi. My name's Rainbow. . ."

She stops her introduction and looks desperately down at me, gulping as she does so. I nod my head upwards at her, a non-verbal encouragement for her to resume at her abrupt pause.

". . .a-and I'm. . .I'm an alcohol-- alcoholic."

She finally reaches the end of her sentence, with difficulty. Her foot continues to tap although the trainers she is wearing protects the tapping from making any noise at all, otherwise it'd be extremely irritating for everyone. Her hands also keep at their finger fumbling, the nerves not having left her system despite her statement assumedly lifting a weight off the girl's shoulders. She does let out a breath however, leading me to believe that her admitting gave her at least somewhat of a relief.

"Hello, Rainbow,"s appear from about the circle.

"Rainbow, what brings you here today?" The coordinator asks.

"I-I'm here because. . .because. . ." She once again looks down to me, her hands now forming into fists. Her nails were sinking deeply into her palms and turning her fingers translucent.

Her head jolts back up, gazing around the circle, every pair of eyes looking back at her, including mine.

"Because. . .I think there's something wrong with me. . ."

She takes a heavy breath as her lips begin to quiver slightly. She continues, "A couple days ago, I woke up in a hospital bed, having blacked out, and. . .I dunno, I haven't been in that state for a while. It felt kinda strange. . .uncanny I guess. There was a time when. . .when all I did was drink. It made me almost. . .forget how to feel anything. It was a weird sensation that I loved. . .and now miss."