Chapter 42

Wolves across the field cover their noses, their eyes glued to me and Noah. Humans adjust their collars and fan their faces, likely blaming their sudden arousal on the summer heat.

The last of my wits has me on my feet, looking all around us for an exit. Noah, we can't do this here!

He doesn't answer. When I look back at him again, his expression only darkens. Omega, your wolf... She's all over me.

I know it's my wolf ravenously courting Noah's in the first place, but she genuinely won't stop. And unfortunately, it's having just as strong of an effect on Noah. His teal eyes are already morphing to yellow.

Sorry, you're right - I started it. I can't contain her, I mindlink.

W-well, I don't know why it's hitting me so hard, but whether it's the start of your heat or not, I'm about to slip into a serious rut, so...

My heart flips. Noah's wolf pants in our bond, warning me he's further gone than he looks in his human form.

OCD harm fears grant me a breath of clarity: what if we lose control, mating on the playground and disturbing everyone around us?

That intrusive thought sounds ridiculous, and it's also horrifying enough that I trust that we won't act on it - Noah wouldn't do anything I don't want.

Except we're not the only Lycans I'm worried about. Itching, jumpy wolves are peppered across the playground, sweat creasing brows as Lycans fan themselves. What if our scent influences other wolves, just like the stew incident? I can't promise the other Lycans understand human culture around sex. Not with their enthusiastic, culturally-expected exhibitionism that most humans do not share.

Right on cue, two separate Alphas grab their kids, heading for the car with shifted eyes. When I spot one mate stealing a sneaky grip on their mate's ass, I gasp. My eyes land back on my mate.

He hasn't stopped staring at me.

My heart flips. Noah?! What's going through your mind?

He chews on his lip, eyeing me up and down.

All he mindlinks is, Mate.

Oh, God. We have to get out of here before we cause a major scene.

Meet me in the teacher's bathroom. I take off for the bathroom first, but I can feel Noah's wolf stalking close behind. Tell those wolves that you and I need to talk in private.

I peek over my shoulder to find Noah not even bothering to excuse himself, setting his sights on me. His prowling stare only encourages my wolf more. My lungs tighten as the distance closes between us. A deep instinct within me begs to make him chase me, and I automatically pick up the pace. I breathe harder as he strides faster, an electrifying craving striking our bond.

The second the building shields us from the playground's view, Noah deepens his chase. Excitement pumps through my veins, encouraging me to race faster. But Noah's long legs easily close the gap. The second he reaches out to capture me, I gasp at how intense it feels - even though all Noah does is hug me against his side.

I grip his shirt, tugging him closer. But that was a mistake; with burning eyes, Noah's hyper wolf peeks through. He scoops me up by the hips, throwing me over his shoulder.

I sputter out a laugh, and Noah fast-walks us into the empty teacher's lounge, straight to the bathroom. Within seconds, I'm locking a bathroom stall door behind Noah's back, cramped into a single stall with my massive mate.

I get to work unlatching Noah's belt.

But with a gasp, Noah backs up. "Fuck, wait. I just got back into my rational head a little." He rubs his eyes hard with the base of his palms before shaking his head clear. When he looks at me again, his eyes have settled to green. "I don't know what you have in mind, but I haven't prepared you enough to mate the way your wolf's begging me for."