Chapter 5

Noah closes his eyes, taking a deep breath. When he opens them again, his eyes are stark yellow. "You're right."

Before he can flip around, seven burly men stream from the forest thickets behind Noah, setting their sights on us. Not a single pup makes a sound, cramming themselves behind Noah's protective form as Rainn huddles into my side. Her frantic glances over pup heads as she counts them beneath her breath sends my heart into overdrive.

Are these pack members? Wait, they have to be, otherwise Noah would've chased them from Greenfield already. Even still, they look furious. How concerned should I be for our safety? I shuffle a few pups behind me, reassuring two little ones who grip my thighs with my hands on their heads.

The men still haven't said anything. I'm on the verge of panic; we can't stop all of them if they attack, not with this many pups to protect.

But our Alpha doesn't panic.

Noah crosses his arms. "Class is in session. I'm not available right now."

A pale, muscled man with auburn hair flashes a sharp smile - his incisors on display. He comes to a halt ten feet from us, leaning one shoulder against a tree before crossing his arms to mirror Noah. "We didn't want to have to interrupt playtime either. Unfortunately, you've left us no choice."

The bearded, scowling man to his left doesn't look as relaxed. "Let's get to it. I'm wasting my lunch break for this, and we have urgent demands for our family's safety that require your attention."

Noah nods, motioning to a clearing about 30 feet to our left. As Noah strides toward it, the Alphas follow without complaint.

Rainn and Aliya, feel free to continue class. They won't bother the pups, Noah mindlinks.

Rainn meets my eyes, fear creasing her forehead. As she herds the pups away, I can't bring myself to follow.

My heartbeat is thready, and my knees weak. I don't like something about those Alphas' scents. Noah is walking further from me by the millisecond, and the sight of his back to me gnaws at my stomach.

Before I can stop myself, my wolf takes charge: I scamper back to Noah's side.

His sharp stare meets me over his shoulder. Yellow irises flip my heart.

"Our future Luna is joining us?" The grinning Alpha asks. Except he's not really asking; his eyes sweep my body before I've even had a chance to say hello.

Noah puts himself between us with his next step, tucking me into his side. My guts churn, but Noah's voice is still calm. "Of course she is. She's your future Luna. Show her respect."

The Alpha laughs. "Of course, Alpha Noah. I'll be a true gentleman, at your request."

"That wasn't a request. It was an order."

I don't want to say hello anymore. We walk in silence, and I burrow deeper into Noah's side.

Are you okay? I ask.

Yes, I know these guys. Which is why I'm more worried about you. They're extremely sexist, so the second you feel too uncomfortable or triggered, please allow yourself to leave. Noah's jaws tighten. But you have to walk when you go, Omega. Absolutely do not run.

I swallow hard. One of the silent Alphas meets my eyes, and I shrink. He must smell my petrified scent. Now that I've figured out how to track Noah's scent, it's easier to single out others. These guys' grungy, angry scents didn't come to praise Noah's leadership skills.

As we come to a stop in the open clearing, putting distance between our two groups, I feel like I can breathe a little deeper.

Noah releases my side, his arms crossing back over his chest. "Alright, Alphas. What's on your mind?"