Chapter 29

The second I arrive at Amy's door, she shushes me. "I just put Lexi in her crib for the night, and if she hears you–"

Lexi lets out a soft whine down the hall. Amy shuts her eyes with an exasperated sigh. I give Amy a sympathetic smile, rushing to hang my dripping, waterproof jacket and toss off my mud boots.

We scurry to Lexi's bedroom door, peeking in with held breaths.

But there's no point in being quiet; she's standing in her crib, gazing back at us with wide, excited eyes. Within a millisecond of spotting me, she stretches out her arms.

My heart twirls. I can't help myself, dashing for her. "Hello, my little niece!"

She gives me a wide smile, opening and closing her hands. "Annie 'Liya!"

Her small voice is still so young that I groan from how cute she is. I lift her from her crib, planting a big kiss on her cheek. Lexi dives over my shoulder, giving me a tight hug.

Amy crosses her arms, but it doesn't stop her from beaming at the sight of us. "Someone is supposed to be asleep, but she accidentally heard me say Auntie Aliya is coming over. She'd never miss that."

I rub Lexi's back, my heart gushing with love for her delighted purring. "Are you kidding? I'd never miss seeing this little lovebug for anything."

Lexi whines, and Amy sighs. "My poor baby. Being so sleepy is no fun, huh? Let's get you back to bed."

My heart drops. "Do I have to put her down already? Can I at least try to rock her to sleep for you?"

Amy laughs, peeking at Lexi over my shoulder. "It looks like she's already on her way out thanks to your sweet pheromones, so I guess you'll have to."

We giggle as Amy shuts the door, leaving us with only the soft yellow glow of a little crescent moon night light in the corner of Lexi's room. Amy rearranges the pillows on her fuzzy rocking chair before I sit down, helping me prop up my arms to comfortably nestle Lexi against my chest.

Lexi only fusses for a moment, curling against my chest with her thumb in her mouth. I tuck her curls behind her shoulder, kissing her temple as I rock us. With her sleepy limbs weighing me into the rocking chair, my pheromones explode in adoration.

This was exactly what I needed tonight, I mindlink Amy.

Amy settles on the floor beside us with her back against Lexi's dresser. Her touched grin, dimly lit by the nightlight, spurs me into just as wide of a smile.

You're a natural, as usual, Amy says.

How has she been doing? I've missed her so much this week.

Amy turns away, fidgeting with a loose string on her tank top. We've been trying to socialize her more at the Community Center, but she's been having a lot of trouble adjusting.

My stomach sinks. How so?

She still can't bear to separate from our sides long enough to play with other pups.

Oh, no. I thought she was doing a bit better last week?

She was, but when Kira went back to work, Lexi sobbed her heart out all day, and it absolutely broke our hearts. That's why I haven't called to ask you and Noah to babysit her alone yet. I don't want her to feel like we're gone too long while she's finally forming a more relaxed attachment to us. Amy stops fidgeting, resorting to biting her nails. Plus, you seem busy lately.

My eyebrow lifts. What do you mean by that? I'd make time for you, any day.

Amy shrugs, unwilling to meet my eyes. My heart stings.