Chapter 15

With Amy bundled in a blanket burrito on Kira's lap, I snuggle into Noah's side on the royal blue couch we thrifted for Amy and Kira's first apartment back in college.

Amy is much calmer now, a dazed, blissful look glossing her swollen eyes as Kira plants delicate kisses on her forehead.

We've sat in a comfortable silence, Kira and Amy muttering about Kira's leaving work early without telling Amy. But one thing I know about loving an Alpha is that there's no way Kira would leave Amy to feel so small and unsafe all alone in their bed. It was only a matter of time before pure instinct drove Kira back home.

But my mind can't stop whirring. I can't focus long enough to be fully present for my best friend.

Noah's concerned glances heighten the nerves along my neck. Come with me for a minute. Noah retracts his arm from over my shoulders to stand. "Does anyone need water?"

I stand too. "Or a snack?"

Kira gives us a soft smile. "That'd be nice."

I follow close behind Noah's wide shoulders to Amy and Kira's small kitchen. Boxed in by soft gray cabinets and clean white tile countertops, Noah looks even larger as he turns to me.

What's going through your mind?

I sink into Noah's touch as he rubs my arms, grounding me by the second. I hadn't thought so clearly about the orphan rate being higher for Lycans before now.

He nods. It's really horrific, I know. And I'm so sorry you had to experience it firsthand.

My heart burns with his words, especially because he understands this pain too. With a deep breath, I whisper what I'm really thinking.

"Since high school, I promised Amy that I'd care for her future kids if anything happened to her, and she'd do the same for me. We agreed we'd be called aunts. But then we talked about co-parenting last year, then I met you, and I don't– I don't know. I hate the thought of losing either of my dearest friends just as much as I hate the thought of our future kids losing us and feeling all alone. I don't feel like it's just the uncertainty, it's also not knowing what to do about it. What will happen to them when we die?"

Noah stares over my shoulder, his brows furrowed. Our hearts ache in tandem in our bond, but Noah's chest puffs. "Well, let's talk about it. Who d-do you want our kids to be left with?"

His breath speeds up in time with my racing heart. I fidget with my jacket sleeve's folds, shuffling on my feet.

"What's wrong?" Noah whispers.

"Is it weird that I feel like it's almost already decided for me? I was already trusting my best friends to possibly raise a child with me, but you don't know Amy and Kira as well as I do."

Noah shrugs. "I trust your judgment. But from the second I met Amy, she was fiercely defending you from me even though I'm her pack Alpha. That takes some serious fucking guts. Plus, she loves you, so I trust her too."

My heart pounds into my throat, but a smile bursts across my face. Noah's focus darts between my eyes, his wolf popping up in our bond with a wagging tail.

"Fuck, you're cute," he whispers. "What are you thinking?"

"That you're such a gem, Noah." I giggle as he ducks his head, softly thumping our foreheads together. "And I trust Amy too. But have you ever talked about this with Yasmine or Rainn? Rainn would be an incredible mom."

Noah hums. "I always imagined Rainn to be my number one choice, but both Rainn and Yas seem to want to be child free. We'd have to ask them. And we'll have to ask Amy and Kira too."