Chapter 31

My heart throbs in my throat. Noah said he found the wolf that's been stalking us, but what's making Noah so agitated?

The worst possibility comes to mind. I grip the couch arm, struggling to stay upright.

Amy rushes to my side, holding me up by the shoulders. "Aliya?!"

Who is he? I mindlink Noah.

Mason Hart. Do you know him?

Oh. For a second there, I thought he was going to say it was my ex, Steven.

I let out a relieved breath, dropping my forehead against Amy's chest. No, I don't know a Mason. But it sounds like you do.

Well, I fucking hate his dad, but Mason? I don't know him beyond kicking his ass. It's just... Something about the way he's acting today is so infuriating that I–

Noah doesn't continue to mindlink me.

Noah?

When he still doesn't reply, I grip my chest, struggling to keep my raging heartbeat under control.

"What did he say?" Amy asks.

I pull away from Amy to spin in a circle, unsure what to do with myself. "He's suddenly not answering. Do you know Mason Hart? Or Mason's dad?"

Kira and Amy glance at each other, then they shrug.

I grip my forehead. "Mason's the one who keeps attacking Noah. Noah also wants to make sure Kira's here to protect us, and I don't know why. He said something about hating Mason's dad?"

Kira frowns. "Now that you mention it, Alpha Ritchie kicked out a sexist asshole, Jack Hart. That had to have been like 20 years ago."

"So maybe they're related?" Amy's eyes widen. "But wouldn't Alpha Ritchie kick out Jack's whole family in that case?"

"I don't know. Alpha Noah and Alpha Ritchie have always taken in Rogues far more than they created them. If Jack's family didn't cause any harm themselves, they could've stayed," Kira says.

"Either way, my mate doesn't sound like himself." I grip my hair, losing control over my breath as it breaks into a sprint. "I need to be with him."

Kira puts a reassuring hand on my back, her protective Alpha musk presenting itself. "Breathe. I'll check around the house, and if it's all clear, one of us can stay with the baby, and the other can travel with you through the woods as our wolves. But do you even know where Noah is?"

My stomach rolls. I hate not knowing the answer to that question now more than ever. Noah, where are you?

He still doesn't answer me, but he's alive and alert – his emotions are still blazing.

"He still isn't replying. If I had to guess, he probably doesn't want me to get involved," I say.

Amy's eyes dance between mine. A slow smile spreads across her face. "But you're not going to listen to him, are you?"

I breathe out the acid in my veins. "No. I'm going to see this Mason Hart for myself, and protect my Alpha."

Amy grabs my hand, following after Kira out the door.

We shed our clothes on the porch, shifting into our wolves to better sniff for signs of life nearby.

But after two minutes, all Amy and I find is Kira - her giant wolf head smashed into the crawl space entryway under the porch.

Her tail wags voraciously. I smell a terrified chipmunk trapped down here, but that's it.

Leave it, Kira! This isn't the time! Amy says.