Chapter 41

I can't believe my kids are graduating preschool today. I hope they'll feel special at their mini graduation ceremony after their final recess with me. To look the part, I'm wearing a vibrant, color-splashed button up shirt tucked into my black slacks - and desperately trying not to let my adoring, yet grieving emotions heighten too far.

My students still don't know I won't be at this school next year.

Seated at the snack tables outside, I'm surrounded by my preschoolers and their loving grown-ups. The Lycan grown-ups invited their "Uncle" Noah to the graduation. He stands behind all the grown-ups, taller than everyone here.

Even though I'm constantly aware it's my last day as a teacher here, I can't stop smiling. My kids are happy, their grown-ups are excited, and my mate is beaming at me every time I meet his eyes.

I bite my lip, stifling the giddy, teenagerish laughter in my chest as Noah winks at me. But with one glance at my watch, my heart drops.

I cup my hands around my mouth. "Alright, class! Let's all line up for your graduation ceremony!"

With some help from the grown-ups, we manage to shuffle the kids into a formation somewhat resembling a line. They lean past each other to look at me as I address their grown-ups.

"Welcome, grown-ups! Thank you for joining our class for a very special day today– Class 34's Preschool Graduation!"

The kids all scream louder than I expect, and I burst into laughter with most of the grown-ups.

"1, 2, 3, eyes on me!"

They're all silent in a second, and I allow myself a bright giggle.

"Okay, class. When I call your name, come get your certificate!"

I call Cory's name first. His shy smile grips my heart as he makes his way over to me. Cory waves to his mom, the pride in his accomplishment apparent in every step when she claps for him extra loudly.

"Great job, baby!"

I bite the inside of my cheek. The way they just looked at each other was so sweet - like they're each other's favorite people in the universe. Just thinking of Noah and I sharing the same bond with our future kids makes my eyes hot.

No, I'm refusing to cry. Which means I definitely can't look at Noah.

His wolf has the zoomies in our bond, nudging my wolf over and over again between spinning in circles. Despite trying my hardest, I can't help myself, sneaking a peek at Noah just before I hand Cory a certificate.

Noah's smile is covered by his fist, so all I can see is his doting stare. It flips my heart.

He shakes his head. My sweet Omega... You're absolutely beautiful with these kids. I'm having a total moment.

I bite my lip, my heart pounding. He's picturing us watching our future kids graduate preschool, isn't he? Just like I am.

Cory takes his certificate with a tooth-gap grin, turning to show his mom.

I squat beside him for a photo - his mom ready with her phone - but Cory turns to me, giving me a massive hug. My heart melts as he squeezes me hard, squealing in excitement beside my ear.

Oh, God. I can't take this, Noah.

I verge between crying and laughing, my hands shaking as I rub Cory's back. "I'm so proud of you, buddy! Congratulations, Kindergartner!"

"Kindergartner!?" He squeals.

Cory's mom laughs. "What do you say, Cory?"

"Thank you, Miss Matsuoka!" He dives in for a second hug, and the crowd of grown-ups burst into laughter.