Clarrisa's POV

"Why do you want to know?" He finally breaks the silence.

I inhale his scent once more, and I listen to his sharp intake of breath. "I just want to know," I answered.

I want to know because it would mean so much to me if it bothered you to see me with him. Again, I don’t say those words out loud for him to hear. I say it in my mind and hope that one day I will have the courage to tell him the truth.

"Ares Prince. A known womanizer. Brother of Carter Prince, someone I’m not very fond of for obvious reasons. I wasn’t upset with you, but I was upset about the situation. He’s the last person I want to see you with," he answers. "He’s not good enough for you, Clarissa. He’s an ass. He plays with the hearts of so many females, pretends to be interested in them, and moves on to another the moment that they fall in love with him. It’s all a game for him. It’s sick."

It wasn’t the exact answer that I was hoping for, but it still made my heart skip a beat.

"Out of curiosity, who do you think is good enough for me?" I ask. I wanted to ask as many questions today, I didn’t want this conversation to stop.

I knew he would never say the name I wanted him to, but I was still hoping that he would.

"So far," he whispers. "Fucking no one. You’re too good for all the men around you." I gasp. I couldn’t believe he’d actually said that.

"Don’t you think you’re setting your expectations too high?" I ask. "If you keep thinking that way, I’m not going to end up with anyone."

He growls, and I gasp as I feel the vibration from his chest on my body, "I only want the best for you. I will not let you settle for less than you deserve."

"Damon," I whisper.

"Yes, Clarissa," he answered.

I don’t know how he’s always so gentle and patient with me, but it’s part of the reason I was so deeply in love with him.

"You’re the only reason why I stayed," I whispered.

His body goes entirely still next to mine. He doesn’t respond immediately, but I feel the tension in his body. I wanted to kiss it away.

"What do you mean by that?" He finally asks.

"You stayed because of me? That doesn’t make any sense. When were you planning on leaving to begin with?"

I take a deep breath. I’ve never told him these things before. Damon and I have always been close, but there are so many things that I’ve kept from him. I don’t know where I’m getting the strength to finally tell him some of these things.

"When your family adopted me. I didn’t want to be here. I wasn’t sure that I would fit in. You were all so rich and different from what I was accustomed to. The constant bullying at the academy didn’t help either. But you, you made everything better; you made me experience true happiness. I’m happiest when I’m next to you." I confess. "I wanted to leave but the moment I saw you, the moment you protected me, the moment you fought for me, all of those times, you made me want to stay, just for you."

It wasn’t the full confession that I wanted to make, but it was the safer option for now. There’s another pause, and once more I wondered if I’d said too much.

"You’re being very honest tonight." He points out in a strange tone of voice.

I was expecting him to say more than that. Again, I was disappointed. What did I expect from him? Was I expecting him to say that I did the same for him? Did I want him to tell me that I made his life happier as he did mine?