Atticus's POV

"Please," Anya begs. "There's this huge party tonight at the beach, and everyone will be there. I want us to go together. People need to see us out together more often, I want our pictures to be posted everywhere."

I run a hand through my hair. I didn't want to go anywhere. I still had this sick feeling in my stomach that something was terribly wrong. I kept trying to dig answers out from the people around me, but everyone got quiet whenever the topic changed to the day of the accident.

Surprisingly, Anya was the most hostile whenever I tried to bring it up.

Their reactions only fueled my determination to find out the truth. Whom could I trust? Who would finally tell me every single detail of that day?

It didn't make sense to me that my parents would go through so much trouble just to remove some articles about an accident.

There had to be much more than that. They were keeping me in the dark, and it was making me furious.

Why couldn't they just tell me? Why did they have to hide it from me? How horrible could this secret be?

"Atticus!" Anya snaps. "Are you even listening to anything that I'm saying to you?"

I was, I couldn't concentrate or respond because of the many things flowing through my mind. Ever since Clarissa had mentioned Autumn to me yesterday, I couldn't get the girl out of my mind.

It was absurd that I had more emotion running within me from hearing her name than being beside Anya.

Her name didn't want to leave me. It kept replaying and it was driving me insane.

"When will Autumn return from her vacation with her family?" I ask. It slips out of my mouth before I could stop myself.

For some reason, I found myself wanting to see her. I couldn't explain it, but a part of me was almost desperate to see the girl. It worried me that I was feeling this way with Anya right next to me. It felt like I was betraying her.

Anya looked like I'd just slapped her in the face for bringing up her best friend in our conversation.

"Why would you ask me that?" She asks, looking bothered.

"She's your friend. I thought you'd like to have a conversation about her. Is there a problem if l ask about Autumn?" I questioned, waiting for her to explain why she'd gotten so bothered by that question.

I knew Anya got angry at the simplest things but I didn't think this would be one of them.

"Yes, there is a problem." She snaps. "You barely ever mention Autumn to me. Why are you suddenly so concerned about her whereabouts? I was in the middle of asking you a question, a couple of questions actually, and you ignored all of them so that you could ask me about her. Is there something going on that I should know about Atticus?" She
groans, irritated . "Is there something that you're not telling me?"

That's the same question I wanted to ask her. What the hell was going on, and why was everyone so determined to keep it from me?

"I'm sorry if I offended you, Anya. I won't ask about her again if that makes you feel better." I promise her.

It was better to keep Autumn out of my head. I was restless because of her, and I had no clue why. The safest thing would be to stop thinking about her, the only problem was that I wasn't sure how to do it.

"Back to what I was trying to say before you interrupted me." She says. "The beach party tonight. Dante and Damon will also be there, but since I want to spend more time with you, they can find something else to do while at the party. We can spend more time together. What do you think?"