Autumn's POV

Atticus looks between the two of us, and I can tell that he's conflicted.

He doesn't know whether to be angry or sad. I can feel his emotions from over here. I can also see it.

He doesn't try to hide it from us.

Even Griffin looked uncomfortable that he'd just seen us hugging. He doesn't know that Griffin was only comforting me because of him.

"What are you doing out here, Alone with Autumn?" He asks Griffin gritting his teeth, not saying a word to me.

Griffin shrugs his shoulders as he grins, "What do I usually do when I'm alone with a girl?"

I glare at Griffin, and he winks at me.

Why does he think angering Atticus would help us
in this situation?

The last thing I wanted him to feel was that I had something going on with his brother.

Wouldn't that push him further away from me?

"It isn't what you think-- "I began to move towards him, but Griffin grabbed my arm and stopped me from going forward.

I look back at him, surprised, and I know he's trying to tell me to play along with his plan. I didn't know whether or not I wanted to anymore.

How was he so sure that this would work?

Atticus approaches us, and I slowly lift my head to stare into his eyes. His gaze is hard and cold as he reaches forward and takes Griffin's hand off my arm.

"She doesn't want to be here." He tells him.

"This is Anya's friend. Find someone else to play with. She's Off limits."

My jaw drops at his words to his brother.

Find someone else to play with?

What did he think I was?

A game?

Griffin grinned, showing his white teeth as he waved goodbye to us. Now it was just Atticus and me, all alone, standing near his totaled jeep.

I run a hand up and down my shoulder, and he doesn't miss it.

"Are you cold?" He whispers.

My heart skips a beat at the tone he's using with me. Almost like he's scared that i'll break any second now.

"A little." I say running my hands down my shoulder.

He surprises me when he removes his jacket and puts it over my shoulders.

My heart is racing now, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. I can't control any part of my body when he's standing this close to me.

"I hate looking at it," I mumble before can stop myself.

"You hate looking at what?" He asks, confused.

I motion to the jeep next to us, "I hate looking at it." I repeat.

He follows my gaze, and his body turns to stone.

His jaw clenches, "I hate looking at it too"

"I wish I was there. I wish I were able to stop it. I wish I could have been in the hospital with you."

I can't seem to stop my mouth from blabbering. Someone needs to stop me before I say something I shouldn't.

He inhales sharply before moving closer to me until we're inches apart.

His finger lifts my chin gently, "why does it bother you so much that you couldn't be there?"

My lips part slowly, and I don't know how to respond without giving too much away. I'm just happy that he's this close to me. The only thing that keeps me going is having moments like this with him. Without anyone else interrupting us.