Atticus's POV

I wanted to speak with Anya before I talked to anyone else.

I trusted her with my life, and I wanted to believe that she would be honest with me if l gave her a chance to explain.

I knew there had to be a reason she pretended that we were still together even though she knew I was married to Autumn.

Her eyes brighten when she finds me near the park where I told her to meet me earlier.

I watched as she ran to me and threw herself into my arms.

I stiffened, not sure what to do now that I knew who Autumn was to me. This felt wrong. Holding Anya felt like I was making a big mistake.

"I'm so happy that you came to see me today," She said as she hugged me tightly.

"I couldn't sleep last night. It was hard for me, Atticus. you have no idea how traumatized I've been. I'm still shocked by what Autumn did to me last night. I can't believe she's such a horrible person. I loved her like a sister, but she tried to kill me yesterday. I wish it were all a dream. It would be better for all of us if she were the same Autumn as in the past."

I stared at the ring on my finger, not paying attention to what she was saying. When I woke up on the hospital bed, one of the first things I noticed after returning home was the ring on the table near the bed.

I'd asked Anya about it first since she had joined me in my room that day. She'd told me that this ring was something she'd bought for me.

Now, I knew it had to be a lie. I don't know why I hadn't realized it was a lie sooner.

When had Anya ever been able to give me something like this in the past?

I'd been so caught up in my memory lost and everything, that I failed to realize that she had been lying to me since then.

How stupid have I been this entire time? Why did it take me this long to go looking for answers? Have I been afraid to learn the truth this whole time?

"You said once to me that you were the one that bought this ring for me." I finally say, running my finger over it. "Is that true?"

She smiles, "Yes, it was my promise to be yours for the rest of your life. A promise ring. A ring of our love for each other. I remember how happy you were when i first gave it to you. It's a memory I want to keep with me for the rest of my life."

I nod and stare into the distance, "How could you afford something this expensive?" I ask.

I was giving her a chance to tell me the truth, and she kept digging a hole deeper for herself.

I thought that I could trust her. I felt that Anya would at least tell me the truth or something close to it if l kept asking her questions. Not once did I think that she would make up even bigger lies to convince me that it was the truth.

I was both disappointed and angry with her. But I didn't want to show her my genuine emotion. There was plenty that I still wanted to do before I confronted her.

She wasn't the only person I had questions for. Everyone close to me, everyone that I trusted, all had explaining to do. And I wanted to give them all the opportunity to tell me what I wanted to hear.

Her eyes widen, "What are you insinuating?"

I shrug my shoulders, "It's a reasonable question considering your condition. I'm not trying to insult you if that's what you're thinking. I'm curious about who gave you the funds to get this for me. It doesn't look like a promise ring, either. It seems like something much more than that. It looks like a ring a wife would get for her husband."