Autumn's POV

I couldn't breathe. Not with the way Atticus was looking at me. His eyes looked drugged but confused at the same time. What was there to be confused about?

I was his. He was mine.

How could he ask me that question? His mark was on me. I smell like him because he put that mark there. I smell like him because we're bonded, we are one.

The person standing before me didn't seem to know any of this, which was simply absurd. How could he not know?

I've been so confused by his reaction to me since I returned.

Why was he acting this weird? What could have possibly happened for him to behave like this? Did Anya do something to him while I was gone? Was I crazy for thinking that way?

She was capable of doing something sneaky, and she had threatened me in the past already. That thought soon flies out of my head as Atticus's
touch becomes more desperate.

He grabs my waist and pulls me against him, while inspecting my neck. His fingers are slowly rubbing the mark, making me wonder what he's thinking.

How could I stay mad at him when he was this close to me? How could I be angry when my heart was
racing because of his closeness?

He always knew what his closeness did to me. maybe he was doing it on purpose so that I couldn't make a scene in front of everyone.

His hands were warm, and they sent tingles throughout my body. It was hard to control my need for him, even though I knew this wasn't the time for any of that.

No, I had to find out what was going on before i let my heart flutter like this because of him. I made the same mistakes in the past, I didn't want to do it again. I was tired of letting Atticus win these arguments because of my feelings for him.

"How can you not know the answer to that question?" I demand. "The answer is looking
you right in the eyes. Are you blind?"

He looks even more confused at my words. His grip on my waist tightens, and it seems like he's having an inner battle with himself.

"What the hell are you doing?" Someone shrieks,

I didn't even have to look.

I knew that voice well, Anya. She was back. Her annoying voice was all I needed to know that she was here.

Couldn't she have stayed away a little longer? There was plenty I still wanted to ask Atticus, and I knew that with her being here, she would try her best to make sure I didn't get the opportunity to do so.

I should have moved him. I should have continued this conversation somewhere else where no one could disturb us. It was too late for that now.

It's good that she was here. I had plenty to say to her as well.

She glared at Atticus, but when her eyes fell on me, they widened. She looked like she'd just seen a ghost. If one person were unhappy that I was back, it would be her.

She doesn't try to hide her irritation at seeing me.

"Are you surprised to see me, Anya?" I ask. "I mean, I'm supposed to be on vacation with my family. At least that's what Atticus told me that you said to him. Can you tell me where exactly we went? I think my memory might be playing games with me."

Atticus looks between the two of us, and I can tell that he's completely lost.

"What's going on?" Atticus asks.

"I should be asking you that." Anya snaps. "Why are your arms still around her?"

He looked down at his hands still on my waist and cleared his throat before quickly letting go of me.