𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎: 𝐍𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐫𝐯𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐀 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐈𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐳𝐞

When I woke up, I wasn't against the wall but on the ground. It had moved from my back to my side. I growled and stared at my leg, with the red tissue covering it.

"Shuck."

I surprised myself by using their weird slag and it immediately felt weird in my mouth. I sighed when I realized that I was still there and that the warning about the griever was maybe overreacted.

After all, that's where Minho and Ben found me so maybe the Griever were used to my smell or whatever they did to keep me alive.

Talking of Minho, he wasn't anywhere near me. I guess I indeed insulted him yesterday. Well, he just had a huge ego that didn't like to be bothered.

There was no way I could stand up by myself in this, this...situation, and neither would I try to find Minho. So I just stayed here, silently, waiting for any sign of someone.

The sky was still dark but if I didn't have those walls to cover the horizon, there would have been a sunset. I didn't remember seeing any, not from my own eyes actually.

I know that most of my memories have been taken away, but I still remember stuff such as food, school, stories and a bunch of other kinds of stuff. So what was different with a sunset?

Why couldn't I see one, remember anything from one? Maybe it was one of the reasons we were trapped here. Maybe that's because something with the sunset had disturbed our world. The sun.

But what does the sun, have to do with my bracelet? I guess I'll never know. UNLESS.

I become a Runner and find the existence before them. That was simple, why wouldn't they understand it?

I was bored with my thoughts and it was at this moment Minho finally showed up. I stared at him, glancing with an annoyed expression, before opening my mouth and closing it again.

"Listen I know I'm handsome and all, but it's really not the time to be speechless right now." Minho scoffed.

"Just help me get up." I sighed.

He bent down to help me get up with his arm underneath my shoulder. I flinched when I tried to stand on my leg. I pressed my weight on him but he didn't complain, it was quite uncomfortable if you'd ask me.

"Yeah, you're gonna have a lot of explanations to do." He mumbled.

"To who huh? I think it's quite clear why I did it." Even if my leg hurt, it didn't mean I had to let him win.

"Let me think, um, the whole Glade?" He said firmly turning to another wall.

"That doesn't explain why I should." He sighed loudly before taking that same look in his eyes he had when he saw me in the maze.

"Listen, no one has ever survived a night in the maze, no one understands how a girl could have arrived here and from the maze. Something is wrong with you being here and I'm not just mad you kick my crotch you're just crazy. And everything you do is wrong."

"So you're going to listen carefully to what I say Asinego. You are gonna tell them you got overwhelmed by everything and you didn't know what you were doing. You got lost and I helped you get out. You do not want to be a Runner right now, it's unsafe for you."

I looked at him breathless again. He wanted me to lie so I wouldn't get any more chance to be a Runner? I was the weird one? I was the one responsible for all this shit? No. But at some point, I realized that maybe it had a second purpose, maybe he wanted to protect me. That just made me even more irate.

"Are you trying to protect me or what?"

"No, trying to keep you alive." He added but I knew that if I wasn't hurt right now, I was easily stronger than him. Well, I guess I was.