𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒: 𝐁𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐘𝐨𝐮

It's hard to predict what the future holds, but sometimes I can't help but wonder if someday I'll look back and realize that the emotions I'm feeling today were just a precursor to what's to come.

Maybe there will be a time when being locked in this place will seem like an annoyance compared to what I'll have to face. But for now, it isn't.

Why does Alby have to punish me for defending myself? Another thing I didn't understand. I thought that maybe with time I'd understand more about this place, but fourth days weren't enough I suppose.

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps drew near, and I quickly hid myself as best as I could, wondering what would happen next.

Voices came with and I could recognize it was the Runners getting back from their run. Hawk and Ben, apparently going to a cabin in the woods.

"Did you know The greenie kicked someone again?" Asked Hawk to the boy.

Ben let a loud growl and replied. "I did, Minho's gonna be mad. He said she was just thinking she was better because she's the only girl."

Damn, I wanted to punch Minho.

"Sounds like someone's jealous. He didn't seem to hate her that time he went to check on her at the pit."

"If I was her I would not want to be a Runner. I only became one because there wasn't enough." Hawk grumbled.

"There is no chance he'll take her as a Runner." Ben went on. He wasn't defending me anymore, apparently.

I stood up, not even caring if they heard me and walked towards the maze entrance. I wanted to be a Runner, it's like I had no other choice. I wanted that or nothing. My body walked from itself as if the bracelet was controlling me again. It was so strange to describe it as if nothing was normal.

"Evelyn?!" Both Hawk and Ben let out realizing I was listening to their conversation.

"Wait!" They yelled for me to stop sprinting and I did with a glance.

"Since where did you hear us?"
"Where are you going?"

"To be a Runner." Was the only thing that left my mouth. And it was enough for them to understand I was going to meet their Keeper.

It was clear in my mind. I don't care what would Alby and Minho say. If they keep on saying that I wouldn't be a Runner, I would find a way to be one.

"Oh, it's gonna be fun to watch." Hawk.
"That's a bad idea." Ben.

I made my way to the maze entrance waiting for him to emerge. I knew he would be here, he spent his whole life trying to find an exit. An exit I was sure I could find.

Seconds passed before his figure reached the Gladr. His face expressed an annoyed expression when he spotted me with my arms crossed.

He stopped running when he reached me. "What do you want Asinego, you missed me already?" He said between his breath, looking down at me.

"Why won't you take me as a Runner." I continued looking at him in the eyes. What came out of my mouth was not what I had in my mind. I probably looked pathetic.

"You're not strong, you haven't tested all the jobs, you aren't qualified for this and there isn't going to be any exception because you are a girl."

"Or you are just scared I'll be better than you."

I could hear Hawk's chuckle and Ben whispering. Minho took a step forward reminding me of our first meeting in the wood. "Excuse you?"

"So you're not gonna admit, you're jealous." I huffed.

Knowing that's what he thought of me, Thanks Ben, I just have to say the same of him.

"The only I could rethink my mind would be if you were able to Run all day, which I know you can't."

I raised my eyebrows at him, then replied. "Watch me." I left him where he stopped and I could hear him talk about me to the other Runner. It wasn't new, he said a lot about me to everyone. Almost as if he was obsessed with me or he just had no better interest than hating on me.

I made my way to the kitchen and I quickly grabbed something on the table but a little smash on my hand stopped me.

"Don't touch! It's for the dinner!" Said the friendly voice of Frypan.

I put the piece of bread in my mouth and stared at him. "Too bad," I spoke out with my mouth full.

I grabbed an apple and a sandwich that was already on a plate. "Hey!" Started Frypan angrily.

I have to say that with the apron he wore, it didn't make him more serious.

"What? I'm going to the pit again so better eat because Alby is gonna make me starve again."

"You kicked John didn't you?" He laughed, proving that he wasn't really mad.

"He deserves it." I nodded while looking down. Let's
say I didn't like to talk about it.

When I left I grabbed a fork with me knowing I'd need it later.

༄༄༄

It has been maybe one hour since I've been laying in the pit. If there is one thing I am sure it's that one second or another Chuck is gonna come to see me.  And I was right, there he is.

"Evelyn! Eve! You awake?" He whispered.

"Yeah, what's up Chuck." I responded on the other side of the fence.

"I heard about you and Minho talking! Is he gonna make you a Runner? Did you convince him? Does he..."

"Do you know at what time the Runner leaves for the maze?" I stopped him, with a plan in my mind.

"Ten minutes after sunrise, why?"

"I've got a plan."

Suddenly his eyes lit up and I was telling him what I wanted to do. He seemed pretty excited about it and soon after, he helped me to get the fence unlocked with the fork.

"I hope it'll work! We are geniuses! Goodnight."

I smiled at him and hoped I would wake up for sunrise. My head fell onto the only surface able to provide comfort, a rock.

༄༄༄