𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎: 𝐊𝐞𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐚𝐟𝐞

The cold feeling of the slammer combined with my hunger kept me awake. Every time I was about to fall asleep there were sounds on the other side of the hole. I sighed and turned away again finding a warmed corner, well it wasn't really warm after 10 seconds of laying here.

I was left with the company of leaves rustling and crickets from a distance.

"If you keep staying up, you'll only earn yourself eyebags under your eyes, Asinego." A voice said in the distance. A voice that could only be Minho's.

"Shut up," I added to his sarcastic comment.

"Giving you a compliment, is that wrong." Minho teased as he stretched, yawning as he moved closer. "Must be difficult being the only shank not sleeping, isn't it?"

"You should tell that to your face. " I sighed, annoyed with him already.

"Aw, did I upset you? Poor you, being upset about going into the slammer," he taunted, smirking and crossing his arms. He stood up leaving me alone again.

I swear if I wasn't in that stupid prison I would kick him again. Why would he even come to see me? I hated him and he hated me.

My mind buzzing, with thoughts of everything and nothing at the same time, finished by vanishing away leaving sleep seizing me.

༄༄༄

I wake up by a moody Alby banging on the slammer.
"Morning Greenie, you can leave."

He opened the door for me to leave, which I eventually did wiping my eyes to try to wake me up. After the unpleasant night in here, I did not plan on getting here soon.

"Sleep well?" He asked containing his laugh. "The newbie don't often have their first weeks in here."

"Yeah, yeah," I said rolling my eyes, showing my annoyance. "What am I trying for today?"

"Med-Jacks, Jeff is gonna get you."

The three Med-Jacks I met were super kind so I didn't mind spending my day with them.

"Oh, cool!"

I smiled briefly but as I walked to get my breakfast, I realized I still had the same clothes from yesterday on. Ew.

I'm gonna eat and then take a shower. I was probably the only one taking care of my hygiene if I based myself on the usual odor here.

Or maybe Minho did with the amount of hair gel he put in since I knew him.

"EVE!" I heard as soon as Chuck was in my vision. The boy was way too happy to see me every time I wasn't near him for more than one hour.

"Hey, Chuck." I chuckled.

But it was something I liked too, seeing my presence wasn't unliked by everyone. Chuck told me about all the other prank ideas he had, as if he would really do them all but "Placing pig klunk into Newt's shampoo" and "Putting ants in Winston's meal" were maybe going to fare.

A hand on my shoulder kept me from listening to the boy. My gaze fell on Ben who was smiling at me.

"Glad to see you're not traumatized by the Slammer Ly." He laughed before giving me a small tap on my shoulder.

I smiled at him and hugged him. It surprised me at first, it seemed unfamiliar at first, but the feeling of his tall arms was something I would be grateful for.

"Be careful with the Med-Jacks, you don't want to become the injured." And he left, Minho following him before he took the lead to run. Within a few minutes, they were out of view, running in the gigantic maze, fighting against the creature.

It looked cool after all.

After a good shower, I changed into a blue cropped shirt with a black pair of jeans shorts. Jeff and Simon were walking with me to their workplace. A small but cozy-looked hut. the Medhut.

The inside was way bigger than it appeared to be and my eyes circled around the medical stuff placed everywhere.

Syringe, bandage, tissue, everything to fix an injury or wound of all types.

"What are we supposed to teach her?" Whispered Simon to Clint, but loud enough so I could hear him.

"How to cook probably, what do you think?" I let out still observing everything in the room.

"Ah ah, you're a funny one aren't you!" fake laughed Jeff.

"I'm so am," I stated smiling slightly.

I liked how those boys were not mad at my comments and just added more. It was way better than Winston menacing me to kill pigs.

"But really, if we want to teach you how to treat, we should get started." Clint prepared materials everywhere and Simon looked at me, just as confused as me.

The Keeper joined his colleague's side and explained things about healing and types of injuries. He talked about medical plants like Alfalfa, Aloe, Aspen, Echinacea and many more I forgot the name.

Things to boost the immune system and heal injuries like cuts, burns and infections.

"So what does sage do?" Jeff inquired me, as he crossed his arm, to see if I was listening.

"Um, help for kidney problem, stomach and muscle pain?"

"Correct! The student is learning!" He spouted, lifting his arms in the air.

"Are you healing with other things than plants or really just that?"

"Trust me, I think there is way too much." Muttered Simon in her ear.

Next was the explanation of how to do a bandage for broken bones. Jeff explained it needed a lot of support so the bandage would help for the injury. He looked down and Clint did the same when started speaking of that part.

"Wait what happened? Why are you looking down?"

"Let's say we had to treat a big injury in the past." Sighed Jeff scratching the back of his head.

I didn't say anything just nodded. It looked already hard enough for him to talk about it. I promised, since that day, myself that no matter what, I would find who they were talking about.

In the afternoon, a lot of "injured" came into the hut for multiple things. Small cuts, pain in the stomach and some Cooks that burned themselves.

"I made a splinter while building." Said a builder while I took a tool to get it out. I could catch his glaze staring at me and studying all my body parts. Since I wore a cropped shirt, I wasn't feeling better.

It took a while before he got out after I took the splinter. My embarrassment was clearly seen by Simon who murmured in my ear: "That boy doesn't know you, 'cause he would have known you have a lot of protectors already."

"Protectors? Really? I know how to defend myself."

It's not like they could do anything about it, he only glimpsed at me.

"You can indeed, kicking crotch is always the answer to all problems."

I giggled and nodded thinking about the two times I hurt boys that way.

But one day, she couldn't defend herself in that manner anymore. So learn from it Evelyn, do it until you can't.

༄༄༄