𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔: 𝐅𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤

I was a little kid. Probably around five years old. My body was trembling on a hospital bed and I could feel a hand grabbing mine. I looked closely at the boy near me who had short blonde hair and blue eyes. Even if he was way younger, I could recognize Ben.

"It's gonna be okay, I'm here." He whispered, pressing his forehead in our linked hands.

It was like I was in a dream or a flashback. But there was no way to tell if it was true, or just a thing the creator made me see. Something about his place looked familiar. The white walls, the red lamp and the poster seemed like something a little girl could have.

Ben looked at me with his big eyes as if I was an injured animal. I couldn't see where I was hurt or why he was crying, but my younger self was shaking and tears were humidifying her eyes.

An older man in white clothes walked in, probably a doctor since I was in a hospital bed. He had white cold gloves that made my skin flinch when he touched my arm.

Something about him seemed familiar. Maybe it was his brown almost gray hair and his face, but I couldn't tell.

My brother got pulled away but he kept promising me I was gonna be alright, that he would be next to me. The door between us got locked and I saw his figure disappear on the other side of the transparent wall.

"You're just gonna feel a little pain."

A little. That was nothing but a little.

The doctor inserted a syringe in my arm and I immediately started crying out. The sharp sensation was surely not agreeable for a five-year-old. After the blue fluid was injected, I began to convulse feeling like a hundred needles were stinging my whole body. Maybe it was not only a dream, because all the sensations were too real to be memories.

My vision went blurry as tears filled my eyes. Ignoring the pain was barely an option as it seemed to crush my insides. The voice in my head that normally contradicted my thinking now screamed in unison. I took a moment to gather my thoughts, but even this procured a distress.

I was trembling now. Weak and exhausted, it cost me all my remaining strength to keep fighting. Even if I wanted to give up, I couldn't. I was stuck in this suffering flashback.

Half my body felt numb while my other half screamed in agony. The sharp, burning sensation was all I could focus on. Tired, but unable to sleep and unable to stop it. I squeezed my eyes shut tight and my face turned to a grimace. Swallowing the pain the best I could was my only option.

Why would someone torture me and inject this poison in me? Torture a child. I hoped with my whole heart that this was just a dream and that it wasn't actually my past. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like if that was my real childhood.

All I could feel was the painful blood coming from my mouth stopping my breathing. What they inserted gave me the same effect as rabies. Like I was a goddam experiment.

'subject A18'

That's where it came from.

This number the voice that has been calling me for the first time. Subject A18, the experimenta-tion. That's what I was. A piece in their puzzle.

But who was that man? What did he want? Ben? The creator?

But what puzzle were they trying to solve and why did they need me? Why would they need subjects, And if I was 18 that meant there were seventeen before me.

Seventeen people that probably went through the same torture as me. Ben looked so worried earlier that he must have been one of them who got experienced on. Maybe it was better to be in the Glade than to go through that again.

I struggled to breathe for a last time before the pain evaporated and my eyes started closing again. Finally resting from what had just happened. I could hear the monitor, linked to my wrist, beep back to a normal pace until I fell asleep.

I wasn't totally unconscious since I could feel my bed move underneath me and noticed the whisper of people around me. Other doctors, I guess, talking about me and what was supposed to happen.

"It wasn't supposed to do that."

"What's going on."

Some were telling I wasn't like him, Him, him, him? Who was he?

And the last time I heard was 'not immune.'

༄༄༄

A/N:

A/N:

Sorry for the story chapter :(

Thank you so much for the 5k reads it means a lot! Thanks to those who votes and comments and just if you are reading this!

<3