𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕: 𝐅𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐚𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐝𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐬

SIMON POV

"Evelyn wait! You sure you are ok?" I asked her.

Ever since this morning, her behaviour had been so odd that I couldn't help but feel like something was wrong.

"I'm alright, don't disturb me."

Evelyn may have had that attitude with others, but she never spoke to me like that or showed any sign of annoyance towards me.

It didn't take long before I saw her body crashing to the ground in a loud noise.

"Evelyn!" I screamed and rushed to her side.

Her face was almost white as if she was gonna die from whatever happened.

"Evelyn? Tell me you're alive."

No answer. I tried to get her pulse and hopefully, I found one. The only thing that got me thinking was her reason for running.

Evelyn said it was to prove Minho something. I knew she wanted to be a Runner and he didn't agree with it, but fainting while doing the main thing she would do as a Runner should calm her thoughts.

And after if she still wants to be a Runner, then what?

Evelyn didn't wake up at any time so I thought of finally listening to Jeff's advice and bringing her to the Med Hut. He always says that if I find someone injured, I need to get them to him.

Clint and Jeff have been extra careful when seeing signs of anything. Mostly because of the Newt incident. They only told the incident to me because I was questioning them too much.

Maybe they're scared Evelyn will end up the same as him? Jeff is always worrying about too much.

Oh, Evelyn right.

I took her body and with suspicious glances of the Gladers, I rushed to the Med-Jacks.

It didn't take long before I saw Alby and Chuck joining me, wondering what happened.

"I didn't do anything, I promise!"

I told the leaders. This boy was always accusing the new one of everything. Well, the last Greenies, which were Evelyn, Chuck, and me. We were mostly the ones doing things that we should have thought twice about before doing.

Jeff rolled his eyes when he saw the unconscious girl in my arms. "What happened, man."

I placed her body on the same bed she was in three days ago.

"She was running, to prove Minho something I don't know, she was acting all strange and then she fainted."

"Wasn't she supposed to be in the slammer?" Asked Clint.

As the silence filled the room, everyone's attention shifted towards Alby, who appeared to be perplexed by the recent turn of events. "She was supposed to, but that doesn't mean she listened. Right, Chuck?"
Alby finally spoke up, seeking confirmation from Chuck, who was sitting next to him.

Without any hesitation, the young boy immediately explained what happened."ShewantedtoproveMinho
shecouldbeaRunnertoososhestartedrunningatthesametimeheleftsoIhelpedher escapetobeearly."