𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓: 𝐑𝐮𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

I woke up with a pain in my head caused by the hard thing I used as a Pillow. I checked through the fence, hoping it wouldn't be too late. And luckily it wasn't.

The sun was slowly setting in the Glade, leaving me more time to get ready. I knew exactly what I was gonna do. Minho wanted me to run the whole day so I could be a Runner. So that's what I would do.

I carefully opened the door, hoping no one would see me. I ran to Chuck's usual sleeping spot and I could see he was still snoring.

It didn't take long before he woke up and smiled softly at me. The plan was that he went to bother Newt so I could get my clothes without being caught in escaping the pit.

From my hiding spot, I could see them walk away to go somewhere else. All that mattered was Newt being gone for a little time. Chuck just had to create something, he always did so it wouldn't be hard.

I pick up a sports bra, a random T-shirt and some shorts. It was better than what I had been wearing for the past few days.

I didn't even bother to eat, I needed to see Minho before he left, which meant I had to hurry.

Once I was changed, I ran to the maze door and waited for their arrival. I didn't wait since Minho and Ben arrived within one minute.

"What do you think you're doing Shuckface." Throw Minho not even minding to slow his speed when he got to me.

"You say I could be a Runner if I ran all day, so that's what I'm gonna do."

"I say I'd rethink my mind, not make you." He corrected, annoyed.

"You're not going into the maze." Said Ben, not caring about his leader's attitude.

"Who said I was going into the maze?"

And just like that I started running in the glade all around the maze wall. I tightened my ponytail and looked behind me, Minho was making his way in the labyrinth while Ben just stared back at me before joining him.

Now I just had to run the whole day, if Minho did it, I could do it. I allowed myself a lunch break and if I really couldn't run anymore then I would have stopped.

The only thing was that the keeper wouldn't see me and my running, but all the gladers will. So if he didn't believe me, I'd have a lot of proof.

And also that I escaped the slammer. I'm sure a lot of people already did that, right? Chuck said he would find an excuse to explain why I wasn't there.

At least I was missing a day as a Slooper, meaning Chuck could just tell Alby he let me do something else.

In this first thirty minutes of running, I could see many boys sharing glances at me and wondering what I was doing. That didn't change from the usual.

I tried to slow down a bit my speed because it had been a while since I started running and I didn't want to exhaust myself already.

But when my feet moved slower, a small pain in my wrist made my feet go back to the same pace. Jeez, that was gonna end badly.

What if I tried to stop completely? Would the pain be like it was first? The voice said it was only when I tried to take the bracelet out; or did it say it was when I didn't listen to the orders?

So many questions, but no goddam answer. All I wanted was to rip out the thing from my wrist and just do what I wanted.

"Continue running, Continue running, Continue running."

The voice said those things over and over, driving me crazy. I didn't count how many times it was like like this, but eventually, I forgot my idea of slowing down. Running faster wasn't gonna kill me, but this thing could.

It wasn't that bad actually, getting my mind on something else than the idea of being trapped here. Even if my foot were hurting it felt good in a way.

After the sixth lap, no eight, wait ten? It doesn't matter, after a long time I could see Simon waving at me when I reached the grassy area again.

"Evelyn! What are you doing? Chuck said you were taking a day off."

But my feet didn't let me stop and I continued running answering him at the same time.

"Minho said I could maybe be a Runner if I run all day."

He joined my run and looked at me concerned. "Minho isn't even here, how could he see you."

"He saw me leave and when he comes back I'm still gonna run."

His eyes widened as if I just said something awful. There was nothing wrong with running.

"You have been running since seven am? It's noon!"

"I don't see the problem, Runners do way more."

He stopped running at my side and yelled, "Yeah but Runners allow themselves breaks!"

I didn't answer and continued my running, not that I wanted to. I would have stopped running if I could. But every time I tried the pain in my wrist came again and I ran faster.

My feet didn't follow my orders. I don't know if Simon saw I wasn't alright but he ran back to me, taking my speed.

"Evelyn wait! You sure you are ok?"

No. I wasn't. But that's not what came out of my mouth.

"I'm alright, don't disturb me."

So now that thing could control what I was saying? Great. There was this salt taste in my mouth and black dots started appearing all over my vision. They then turned white and the last thing I could hear was Simon screaming out my name.