Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Clementine POV

I was neither a criminal or a liar; my strict mother never taught her lovely daughter to be such. She raised me to have thousands of dollars in credit in loans, but at least I dress fancy, and no one saw that I was struggling with my finance. My mother died five years ago and my father died six years ago. Indeed, barely a year later, my mother's frail heart couldn't handle it any more and died. May their soul rest peacefully—or not. Because since they died, all I've done was not let their soul rest in peace. My mother had turned and rolled in her grave far more than she should.

I took a detour to the bank instead of walking to school. I laughed all the way to the bank, with a hundred thousand dollar cheque in my hand. I stopped laughing when I realized I was next in line, and if things went wrong, I could be sent to prison or, worse, Ms. Ivanov's dungeon. She was a Mafia leader; she must have a dungeon or two, or at least a couple of dark basements, complete with chains on the walls, cockroaches and rats scurrying around, and instruments ready to torment my beautiful flesh.

The bankteller's beautiful grin signaled that there was no turning back, and I was going to do it. I was taking $100,000 from a Mafia who could murder me with the snap of her finger—or possibly the click of her tongue.

"Hi, good morning." I greeted, hoping my tone did not seem like I had stolen the money. God, what I could do with this money.

"Good morning; how may I assist you today?"

It was time for me to play the naive character of not understanding how checks operate. "I received a check from Ms. Ivanov."

Her eyes expand when I utter her name, indicating that she knows her. Of course, everyone in town knows her. She was like a bug in an ant nation; she couldn't hide.

"We always receive one of her checks here. She is a regular customer at our bank. All you have to do is give us the check, which we will scan and either deposit into your bank account or cash it out."

"In my bank account." I said it too hastily. I was simply so frightened and ready to get out that I spent the money before she could halt it. "Sorry, I'm just anxious; I'm new here."

"I understand."

"It's the only bank around here, or rather the only trustworthy bank." She chuckled. I gave out the check and she ran it under the blue light.

"It seemed pretty authentic, so don't be too serious."

"Could you kindly provide your name and account number?"

I provided her my name and account number. My finger drummed impatiently on the smooth white counter, waiting for her to fill out everything. "When you come back, please establish an account with us."

"Will do." I stated this while grabbing my identity card from her. I jumped when I heard a ping on my phone, I take it out to see the money was in there.

Yes!

********

I began paying all of my debts online as soon as I sat down in my chair. I was laughing, as I often do, and wondered when I become so 'not giving a fuck'.

Ah! Perhaps because she was Mafia and deserved it. We all know what Mafias do. They strolled about with terror as their first, middle, and last name, followed by a pair of thugs who appeared to be roughfians.

I'd be lying if I said I was frightened shitless because I was spending her money, which she hadn't given me. But if she doesn't know, there can't be any consequences to my conduct.

"I'm done."

I flinched as I looked up and found the demonic youngster looking at me, or rather, my phone. I promptly turned it off. I noticed she was handing me her notebook. She was one of the slow learners, and her quiz result was a dismal 34%.

That was really low, and I was not going to condemn her based on her past or history. Growing up, my parents were teachers did not guarantee that I was a straight A student. I do dumb crap. I was indolent and didn't take schoolwork seriously until my final year, when I almost lost out on Yale and was also relying on my parents' positive remarks in the letter.

"Please take a seat." She sat at my desk. I take a seat there to speak with each of them on their performances.

"What is it?"

I'll admit she had bad manners, but who was I to tell her to respect me when I had just stolen from her mother? I wasn't a hypocrite—at least not in that sense.

I looked through the stack of quizzes and saw her name. I handed her the paper and looked to see whether she was disappointed by her poor grade. However, none appeared on her face.

"This is simply a quiz, but if you fail at least two more tests during the term, you will require a tutor."

"I don't need a tutor."

"It's only a suggestion. Perhaps your mother or father can help you."

"Mom, the other mom died."

"Oh, so sorry for your loss."

"I am not. She's an informant and a thief. We kill people like those."

Her statements seemed to be intended at the conduct I had done five hours ago. Oh crap, what have I gotten myself into.

"Well...Uhm...yes, you're grade. Make sure to uhm." I cut myself off. I need to breathe and get a fucking grip. I stole the money because she deserved to be stolen from. There I was, giving myself an excuse to do awful and dumb things.

She smirked, and I realized she was just like her mother, wanting others to fear them.

I'm pleased the pineapple didn't fall too far from the tree, or whatever the old adage goes.

"Getting excellent marks is the most essential thing in school. It's like getting a free ticket. You have a scholarship—" she aggressively interrupted me with a sneer.

"Listen, woman, my mother owns the entire state as well as a portion of her own country, Russia. I can get into any fucking college. In fact, I don't want to go to any silly college; I want to be a soldier for my mother, and I want to kill people. I want to watch their life slip from their eyes, as I slashed their windpipes. I want them to suffer just by my sight."

This damned kid terrified me. She was only thirteen years old, yet she already appeared to have everything under control. Not the finest way of living, but at least she understands what she wants.

"If you want to achieve all that, you need a solid education." I said, and her eyes widened. She undoubtedly assumed I would judge her. Today was the day I didn't turn up my nose and pass judgment, because after all, I too was unlawful.

AN: What do you think of the story so far?

I hope you enjoyed this chapter
Please comment, vote and add this book to your reading list to get first notified on a chapter being published.
Complete chapter is right over my paid Patreon. Link in the bio
www. Patreon.com/ebookking

com/ebookking