Chapter 18-New Currency, Banks, and Spies

March 22, Year 3

The streets of Kylia City, the capital of Kylia, were bustling with activity as merchants and traders carried out their daily business.

However, amidst the usual commotion, there was a growing sense of unease among the people.

The Hylian Rupee, the kingdom's trusted currency, was experiencing a rapid decline in value.

News of this spread like wildfire, causing panic and confusion among the citizens.

In my office, I was discussing with Roshi how to address this currency crisis before it escalates further.

I believe it is time for us to consider implementing a new invention, paper currency.

This would provide us with greater control over our currency and enable us to manage its value effectively.

Roshi, appearing skeptical, questioned, "How would this paper currency function?"

A few years ago, I established the Kylian Mining Corporation, primarily for mining iron ore. However, we also acquired other minerals, including two tons of gold.

We can utilize our newly acquired gold reserves to back our own currency notes, which would then serve as legal tender.

This approach would grant us the flexibility to adjust the value of our currency as necessary by either increasing or decreasing the total amount of currency in circulation.

"I understand. But wouldn't this be a complex and costly process?" Roshi inquired.

No, because due to the impending war with the city states, Kylian exports to other kingdoms have ceased entirely. Therefore, we only require a currency that is trusted within our domestic market, not internationally.

Additionally, to facilitate the management of increased transactions, I am planning to establish a national bank.

"How would this 'National Bank' operate?" Roshi asked.

The National Bank will distribute currency to other banks and provide loans to these banks.

This will grant us greater control over the Kylian economy, thereby weakening the hegemon of the Hylian currency.

Five days later, in front of a newly constructed building, I addressed a concerned audience in a speech.

Today marks a momentous occasion in our country's history.

We have officially established our own currency and national bank, a symbol of our economic independence and sovereignty.

For too long, we have relied on Hylian Rupees and Hylian banks to conduct our financial affairs.

This has left us vulnerable to economic instability and the whims of Hyrule.

But today, we take back control of our economic destiny.

Our new currency, the Kylian Kon, will represent our values and aspirations.

It will be backed by the strength of our Kingdom and the hard work of our people.

With this currency, we will have the power to determine our own economic policies and make decisions that benefit our citizens.

But a currency is only as strong as its supporting institutions.

That is why we have also established our own national bank, the Bank of Kylia.

This bank will serve as the backbone of our financial system, ensuring stability and growth in our economy.

It will provide necessary services such as lending, currency exchange, and monetary policy, all tailored to the needs of our nation.

I am confident that with the establishment of our currency and national bank, we will see a new era of prosperity for our country.

Our citizens will have access to fair and transparent financial services, our businesses will have a stable and supportive economic environment, and our nation will have the tools to navigate through any economic challenges that Hyrule throws our way.

I call upon all citizens to embrace this new currency and support our national bank.

Let us work together to build a strong and vibrant economy that will benefit all of us.

I am excited to see what the future holds for our country with our own currency and national bank at the helm.

Thank you, and long live our great Kingdom!

The citizens of Kylia City cheered as they gathered around the newly constructed National Bank, waiting to try out the new paper currency called the Kylian Kon.

As the Queen's banking officials began to exchange the new currency out for Rupees, the crowd murmured with excitement.

The Kylian Kon was a blue note, adorned with the Queen's sideways K shaped horn and intricate designs. It was a stark contrast to the plain and heavy gems of the Hylian Rupee they were used to.

Only a very few citizens were skeptical, wondering if this new currency would hold any value.

But those who were, as they examined the notes, were pleasantly surprised to find that they were made of high-quality paper and had intricate security measures to prevent counterfeiting.

Most were patriotic, eagerly exchanging their old Hylian Rupees for the new Kylian Kons.

They were impressed by how much easier it was to carry and count the new currency, and they hoped it would bring stability to their economy.

As the day went on, the Kylians started to use the Kons for their daily transactions.

In just two more days things were completely back to normal, except for the absence of any Rupees lying around.

Meanwhile, in the northern city of Konsburg, a Kylian spy sat silently at the bar, sipping his drink while eavesdropping on the conversation taking place at the adjacent table.

A group of intoxicated nobles were engaged in a boisterous discussion about the current state of affairs between Kylian and the city state coalition.

"I can hardly believe that those fools upstairs are actually contemplating declaring war on Kylia this August," one of the nobles slurred.

"Ever since the Rupee depreciated, this plan has emerged," another responded.

"Our economy has crumbled, plunging our people into chaos."

"It is only a matter of time before we lack the strength or resolve to resist them."

The spy's attention was piqued by this revelation. His mission was to gather intelligence on the coalition's intentions, and this information was invaluable.

"But what can we do?" a third noble inquired.

"We cannot simply sit idly by and allow them to attack us."

"We must demonstrate that we are not to be trifled with," the first official declared, forcefully pounding his fist on the table.

"We will strike first and make them face the consequences of provoking us city states."

"By launching a full-scale assault on Rosa from Okland, we will effectively divide the Kingdom of Kylia, compelling them to surrender swiftly."

"We will then demand exorbitant reparations and territorial concessions from their Kingdom!" he laughed drunkenly.

The spy's heart raced as he processed the information.

It appeared that war was on the horizon, and he needed to report back to his superiors without delay.

As the officials continued discussing their plans, the spy discreetly exited the bar and made his way back to his headquarters.

He swiftly relayed the gathered intelligence to his superiors, who would in turn transmit it to the capital.