Chapter 11-Establishing the Blue Army, Textiles, and Guns

Date September 2 Year 2

It's been nine months since the establishment of the new Kylian government, and seeing the results of the policies I implemented a while ago, I was in a pretty good mood.

I am glad to say that we will lose any people from starvation this year.

After establishing the KFC I immediately hired 7000 workers giving them a huge chunk of the land I personally own splitting it between the numeros farmers.

I then hired 2000 people who volunteered to work on making as many farming tools as possible.

This summer alone we have recorded a record breaking harvest of 6300 tons of food, more than enough to feed the entire population.

Roshi then burst through the door, "we've got a problem."

Now, we just got over a food crisis.

"The Rosians are buying vast amounts of food, we believe that they may be planning to start a campaign against us, possibly as soon as the spring of next year."

I sort of expected this, I just hoped that they would take the easy way out.

Remember the skis that I showed you in the beginning of the year, I plan to use them for our army to launch a campaign this winter.

"The winter, we'll freeze!" she exclaimed.

No because I...

"Have a new invention," she said with a plain look in her eyes.

Exactly, I answered, as I brung out a drawing I was working on the previous knight.

Our industry is now advanced enough to manufacture this monster I designed, I call it the wooly mill.

"What now?"

The wooly mill.

It automatically spins wool into clothes, we could easily have enough outfits with just a couple of these machines up and running.

With enough food for the winter, we do not need so many farmers laying around, let's employ them for the wartime economy.

"War time economy?"

The entire kingdom's economy will be focused on the war effort including our entire industrial might.

Let's go to the barracks.

I want to show you our new army, while we're walking, let me show you how the army is now organized.

Rising from my chair I walked towards a desk and took a sheet of paper that was sitting on top.

Here it is

1000 Kylian troops are organized into.

100 squads, each squad contains 10 troops, lead by a sergeant

20 platoons, each platoon contains 50 troops or 5 squads, lead by a lieutenant

5 companies, each company contains 200 troops or 4 platoons, lead by a captain

1 battalion, which will contain the entire army of 1000 troops or 5 companies, lead by me, the lieutenant colonel.

Oh looks like we're here, I said, stopping in front of a line of lieutenants still wearing informal clothes holding what in my eyes was a modified 1842 Swedish Kammerlader, a 17.5 mm caps lock breech loaded rifle, the first to be mass produced by any European country.

Its rate of fire is only 6 shots per minute, much lower than its German counterpart of 10-12 shots a minute, however greater than the original gun's design which could only fire 4 shots per minute.

The Kammerlader was designed to use paper cartridges, a pre-measured amount of gunpowder and a lead bullet wrapped in paper, both to speed up and simplify loading the weapon.

The paper was wrapped around the cylindrical section of the bullet and secured with wool string secured in the grooves. The end of the bullet was then covered in melted tallow, before the black powder was filled in behind the bullet and the end wrapped.

Using conical shaped bullets, its range had been kept the same even though I modified it to have a higher rate of fire.

"What with the sticks?" Roshi questioned.

Watch, ready boys? FIRE!

The sound of gunfire erupted in the area as all 10 lieutenants fired at their respective targets at the same time.

Behind me, a Kylian artillery squad pulled up carrying a french 4-pounder Gribeauval cannon on skis, quickly lit the fuse then covered their ears as their respected target, a 2 foot wide log was completely obliterated by the cannons projectile.

"What was that," Roshi said shakily.

That's what we're gonna give to the enemy, the Blue Army shall conquer all.