Chapter 5-Paper making

The next 10 months

Ever since I've been adopted, I've also been getting lessons on how to act like a noble which has been a real drag.

Waking up on my break day, I decided today I was gonna make paper

Yeah, you heard me, paper.

Yesterday, at the market, I was looking over at many of the products that the merchants were selling, trying to find paper, but I could only find parchment.

Compared to paper, parchment requires hunting animals.

The skin is removed from the animal and any hair or flesh is cleaned away, it is stretched on a wooden frame.

While it is stretched, the parchment maker or parchminer scrapes the surface of the skin with a special curved knife.

However this makes parchment very expensive.

So now I find myself out in the wilderness, picking up various types of plant material.

Preferably the types of plants that stand over 2 feet tall on their own, will most likely contain enough cellulose to make paper.

After harvesting the plants for 2 hours, I ended up with 10 pounds of plant material, ready to be turned into pulp

Moving into the kitchen, with a knife, I cut the fibers into 2-inch strips to reduce cooking time

Then, soaking the fiber in plain water I filled a pot with water to cover the fiber, about 2 gallons per pound.

Taking out the wood ash from the fireplace that I left burning since this morning, I poured 20 percent of the dry weight, or about 3-1/2 ounces per pound of Wood Ash.

Heating the pot of water, I added the soaked fiber and started to stir.

Bring it to a boil, I then turned down the heat and started to simmer.

Every half-hour while simmering, I stirred the fiber and tested it for doneness.

Taking a piece of fiber, I rinsed it, and pulled it in the direction of the plant's growth.

The fiber pulls apart easily, that means it's ready.

Turning off the heat and removing the pot from the stove I poured the cooked fiber through a strainer into a bucket, and rinsed the fiber until the water ran clear.

I started beating the fiber.

After the fiber is cooked, I had to beat it to further break down the material into the soft pulp that I could use to make sheets of paper.

Outside I started pouring the pulp into multiple molds that I laid out in the sun.

At the end of the day I had 10 sheets of paper, using one tenth of the total mixture I had produced.

I found my father, asking him, dad I want to start a business.

"What are you gonna sell?."

Here, I said as I passed him a piece of paper.

"How is the parchment so smooth?"

"How did you make it?"

I then proceeded to explain to him the details of this "paper".

"You can start a business and I'll give you money, but I want you to give me 100 of these "paper" sheets."

Deal, I said as I shook his hand.

The next day I created the "Kylian Paper Corporation."

I decided to hire multiple people who are specialized in different tasks, like a production line, to maximize efficiency.

I hired a wood chopper, a cook, a pounder, and a farmer to gather plants.

With this setup I can generate a production of 90 sheets of paper per week with one day off as break

My father arranged some laborers to build boarding houses for free for me to use.

Wages are a rupee a day.

Which might seem low but in this age of Hyrule, there are not alot of monsters around, so the rupee is actually much stronger than the dollar.

I also give out one free meal per day, so all that money is just to pay taxes and buy more food.

The average Fermerian only earns half a rupee a day, so this wage is considered very high.

Total expenses amount to an average of 4 rupees per day, with taxes 10.

I sell 15 sheets of paper per day, each sheet worth around 1 rupee, for about 15 rupees per day.

With expenses, my total profit is 5 rupees per day, which is way

After two months I had recruited 27 more workers for a total of 30.

Total production was 150 sheets of paper a day, Kylian Paper Corporation recorded a staggering profit of 50 rupees per day just from selling paper to Hyrule and the various Valords.

Most of that money is then used to buy resources abroad that Fermerians use, stimulating trade.

Fermeria's strategic location at the confluence of two great rivers makes it a valuable trading hub for all those who live in the Rosa river basin.

As a result, most of Fermerian trade would naturally reside in these rivers.

Meanwhile in the city of Rosa, a city that lies at the mouth of the Great Rosa River, a certain Valord was scrutinizing a piece of paper with a butler at her side.

She had light purple hair with purple eyes, and a large scar on the side of her head located where what used to be her right ear.

Her complexion was that of a predator, silently calculating what to do with the object in front of her.

"So this is the "paper" that's been ruining Rosaian parchment exports?"She said with a tone of displeasure.

"Yes, lord Rosa, this paper seemed to have originated from the town of Fermeria", the butler spoke with a careful tone.

"Isn't that place the second largest settlement after us in the basin?"Rosa questioned.

"Yes, Fermia is not only the second largest settlement in the basin but also the second largest outside of the Kingdom of Hyrule", the butler responded.

"If this paper keeps showing up in large quantities, blockade the entire river with our navy, restrict any iron getting into fermeria," Rosa snapped back.

"Without iron, those Fermerians will definitely beg to us after all their iron's gone," she thought to herself.

"Yes my Valord", the butler quipped before swiftly walking out the door.