Chapter 8-Census, Calendar, Government, Food and Skis

"After we sent examiners around the Kingdom we were able to get an accurate set of data on the state of Kylia", Roshi stated with confidence as she passed me a sheet of paper.

Looking down, I then proceeded to skim through with analyzing eyes.

Total Population-9,914

Total Land Area-200,000 Km^2

Total GDP-2,974,200 Rupees

Total Budget(Not including Kylia's companies)-148710 Rupees

People in the Armed Forces-500

Percentage of population who are in the Armed Forces-5%

Rural Population-8923

Percentage of population who are rural-90%

Workforce(Including Military)-991.4

Percentage of population who are in the workforce-10%

Total Steel Production-1.5 tons per day

Total food production-2677 tons per year

Total food consumption-5428 tons per year

"As you can see here", Roshi said as she points at the bottom of the paper, "We currently are not producing enough food for our people."

To solve this problem, I plan to establish a government.

"Please explain," she asked, wondering where I was going with this.

Right now the majority of the population are composed of serfs, people who are tied to their land, who work for me.

Of course I'm very popular with the populace but still, if you ask yourself "why work hard on farming this land when it's not even your land."

So I plan to completely get rid of this feudal system and replace it with what I call a constitutional monarchy.

I will sell my land to the serfs who work on it and give out loans so they can afford it.

I will then simplify taxes to an Income tax, Property tax and a Consumption tax to stimulate the economy.

With this system, grain production will skyrocket.

Of course this will not solve our food production alone, so I came up with the four field crop rotation.

Getting out a diagram, I proceeded to explain my design.

Wheat will be grown in the first year, turnips in the second, followed by barley, with clover and ryegrass undersown, in the third.

The clover and ryegrass are to be grazed or cut for feed in the fourth year.

The turnips are to be used for feeding cattle and sheep in the winter.

And I will also make another business called the "Kylian Farming Corporation(KFC)", using these two inventions to plant and harvest huge amounts of land at a fast rate.

Picking up two more diagrams to show it to her, I resumed speaking.

With more food we can shift our kingdom's population from one that is mainly agrarian to an industrial one.

To manage all these taxes I propose that we establish a central government and a common calendar.

The House of Commons (the lower house), will be composed of people elected by the commoners

the House of Lords (the upper house), will be chosen by me as experts in their field of work to help with choosing the right policies for our kingdom.

They will have the power to override and pass any proposal from the house of commons.

And me, the monarch, will override any proposal from both houses, pass proposals from the house of lords, choose anyone for the house of lords and kick anyone out of the house of lords if they seem unfit.

Most legislative power is concentrated with the monarch.

For the calendar there will be 365 days in a year, starting from my birth, with twelve months consisting of Sichen, Iyuty, March, Viten, Moz, Cherven, Iypen, Serpen, Veresen, Hovten, Topad, and Ruden.

One last thing, taking out a worn out diagram, I got to the point, get the army used to these.

Waving the picture in one hand, I continued on, you use them by attaching them on your feet so you can glide on top of the snow like it's nothing.

I thought of this awhile ago, I call them cross country skis.

After I was done talking, glancing up I could see Roshi staring up at me with shock.

You okay?

"That's brilliant! I will go get started with an announcement right away," she said as she hurried out the door.

And I will go establish the KFC. I replied back as I rose from my desk.