You Again

I heard the door slam from the warehouse door. As a figure walked toward me, I looked to my left to see Cooper emerge from a door---another thing he'd probably hidden from me. It was awfully late. Roaming the streets at this time would be dangerous if you had something to lose. I don't.

"Olive," He barely whispered. Almost as if he had been shocked to see me. I'm flattered. Not really, all I wanted right now was to slap him in the face and punch him in the gut. 

Cooper took a step forward.

"Get away----" I start to say but was cut off by two muscular and rather hairy arms, clasping around my throat. 

Cooper started to run to me. 

"Another step and I slit her throat." The man's voice said behind me. He smelled like charcoal, cigarettes and wet dog. A flash of silver strung across the air before my eyes. He gripped the knife tightly, as she could feel his hand digging into her neck.

Cooper tensed and inched backward. 

"Good boy," The man taunted. The voice was recognizable but faintly scruffy. Which made it hard to decipher who it really was. 

"Just leave her alone, we're homeless, and have nothing for you to take." Cooper assured the man. 

"It's not her things I wanted, it's her." He said breathing heavily on my head. I didn't want to die. Yet, I didn't want to be with Cooper either. 

It was a few moments as water dripped down balconies and smoke silently erupted from a chimney down the street. 

Cooper relaxed his shoulders.

"Listen," Cooper began.

"No, I will not listen." He said firmly. "You will." The man who was holding me was still out of sight for me. Only Cooper could see. "You will walk away slowly, not saying a word. I will leave with Olivia and you will not look for her. Or her life will be threatened as easily as this." 

The man undid his arms from my neck and grabbed my arm. He gripped the knife and slitted my arm, deep, so blood would softly trickle from it down my wrist.

I looked up quickly as the man took his arms back to my neck. 

Cooper gasped softly and the pain exploded up my arm. My eyes started to blur.

"Okay I will." Cooper breathed. He backed away and turned to walk down the street until out of sight. 

Once he was, the man dragged me into an alley behind Al's Drug Store. 

"Are you alright?" He said passionately as he kissed my forehead checking my arms. 

"What the hell? Who are you?" I asked backing away.

He came into focus.

"Olivia?" He said fighting tears.

I scanned him quickly. If it had been real, tomorrow's going to be a different day. Life's going to be different now. In a short breathe, I lunged at him in a fierce hug.

"How---" He said gripping my hair and my shoulders to him tightly. "How I've missed my daughter."