Family Again

Where do I go now? Grandmas. But that's all the way in Brooklyn. I'm too far in now.

I wish I could go back in time. 

I walk down an alley way and I stop in my tracks. 

How could I have let this happen to me?

I bang my fist against the wall and swear. Furious, I kick one of the cardboard boxes. 

"Hey!" Says a voice. 

I jump and turn to the voice. 

"You just stepped on usable cardbox!" It said. I still couldn't make out what it was. 

"Some people need to live in that you know." It said stepping into the moonlight escaping from the windows. 

A girl!? 

"Oh-Um. I'm sorry." I stutter. I know there are some homeless people in New York, a lot actually. I never thought they'd be girls. How naive. 

"Um um um?" She taunted. "I didn't think so." She turned around and walked away.

"Excuse me?!" I said. "Don't walk away from me!" I followed her down the alley.

"Go away!" She shouted. "Stop stalking me!" She walked faster and faster. 

"Listen---" I say grabbing her shoulder. 

"Hands off!" She said pulling my hand away.

"Okay." I said as she turned around. "I need help. I'm wanted for doing something I didn't do. And I lost everything." 

There was a long pause.

"I'm Kiki. Welcome to the Homeless World." She said half-passionately. "Follow me." 

So I did. 

We went through this abandoned warehouse with broken windows and dusty corners. 

Through the dark hallways, I thought over what I was doing. Is this right? 

I need all the help I can get.

Kiki opened the big doors. 

There was a giant room full of kids in sleeping bags, looking very skinny and even some crying.

"Not a eye-pleaser I know." Kiki said. "Take it or Leave it." 

I thought of everything that happened.

"I'll take it." I say. 

Kiki nodded.

"Welcome home."