22

Author's pov:

A few days ago~

Castle of Busan:

The former queen was growing agitated. This was the best time for her to plot something, the only time Jungkook would be away but nothing seemed to go unnoticed by the hawk eyed general. The letter she wanted to send across borders was still kept on her dressing table, dust slowing forming layers on it.

She was finally seeing why Jungkook respected Jimin so much. The two were of the same age and had begun training almost at the same time. As teenagers, in the training grounds, they were almost like rivals. Jungkook was always left astonished by Jimin's core strength while Jimin was amazed by Jungkook's precision and accuracy in a swords fight. They truly admired each other. They weren't close, their conversation never lasted more than five minutes but there was always an unsaid mutual understanding between them.

Jungkook had strongly believed, and still does that Jimin was one of the very few people who'd stand by his side when the entire world will be against him.

Jimin was tirelessly working, managing all the responsibilities towards the royal household and also towards the training of the soldiers. No matter how tired he was, he'd go through the paperworks  in detail which gave the ministers of the royal court a very hard time.

But he was human too. Every time when he reached his limit, he'd turn to the only outlet, the only comfort he had, Miho.

Jimin and Miho grew up together as neighbours. They used to play together, eat together, even trouble their mothers together. They were almost inseparable. Key word being 'Almost'.

When Jimin was of a certain age and gained the ability to finally see what life truly was, he realised it did not just revolve around the two houses he had known for the most part. It wasn't just fun and games. It was cruel, unpredictable and an unfair place. He realised it when he lost his father to a terrorist ambush. He witnessed his father being killed by some rebellious soldiers of his own kingdom. His father, a farmer, a man who held a plough or an axe only to cut trees or uproot plants, who never had it in him to harm a human being or even an animal, was killed for no certain reason. He was killed because someone was in a bad mood, that someone held more power than a mere farmer and it gave them a pass to let their anger out on his father.
And it changed him. For better or for worse, it entirely changed his perspective on life.

There were five of them and he made sure all five were hanged to death. A mere 13 year old walked down the royal court, holding nothing but mad fury in his eyes, locked eyes with the king and asked for justice, with authority. It was the least he could get and he got it, even asked to be in the same room when they were being hanged.
He didn't blink once, didn't look away when their bodies shook and pathetically twisted like chickens as the life was being sucked out of their throats.

The king was no fool to let that young adrenaline and anger go to waste. He believed that if anger was directed in the right direction, it could become an asset. And at that time Jimin's greatest asset was his pain and madness and the king knew just the right thing to put it to good use.

"Would you like to join the forces, young child?" The King put his hand on Jimin's shoulder.

"And become like them?" He pointed towards the now dead soldiers, hanging lifelessly. "No, I'm good." The King did not mind the way the child talked to him. Right now he was nothing but a grieving son.

"I understand and I won't force you." He bent to his level on his knees, his cloak now sweeping the floor. "But there is a thing about power I must tell you." Jimin just scrunched his eyebrows. "Authority, influence and power are like black magic. They slowly consume you and you don't even realise when you change. And there is only one thing that can stop it from flowing through your system and get to your brain. Do you know what that is?" He asked the child.