1

"You need to start looking for a spouse now. Have you ever heard of a king ruling without his queen?" Mrs.Jeon walked behind her son who was completely ignoring his mother's constant nagging. 

Stay quiet for a few minutes and she'll leave on her own.
"I very well know of your ways to get away from me but not anymore, Son!" She stopped abruptly and spoke in a loud voice not minding the wary looks the servants gave her. Jungkook stopped in his tracks as well. It was very rare for the lady to raise her voice as she was one of those who always tried to be proper and polite with everything. In simple words, a lady shall not raise her voice as it is against the image of a soft, submissive woman ( the ideal image of a woman ).

Even though she was the mother of the King but she wasn't the king herself. No one, absolutely no one is allowed to raise their voice against the emperor. He stayed quiet for a while before turning around taking his mother by surprise.

"Mother, I do not want to marry out of obligation. I hope you understand that." His voice was sharp and crisp as he nodded his head at the end of the sentence. His eyes shifted to the servants who had gone still at the sudden outburst of his mother. They quickly resumed their work leaving the two alone.

Mrs.Jeon looked at Jungkook like he was an alien and the words that left his mouth were absolutely ridiculous." You are not the royal prince anymore for you to say something foolish like that. The responsibility of the kingdom is on Your shoulders and you must uphold it no matter what. You shall marry a princess of a neighbouring kingdom to strengthen the bonds and prevent chances of war. Marrying out of love is not something the royal family-"

"Father's great grandfather Jeon Jaebum, the only queen known to the history of Busan and Jeon Mung soo married out of love. They also succeeded in preventing wars by strengthening their 'armies' and 'financial status across borders'." Mrs.Jeon couldn't help but clench her jaw. The knowledgeable books she provided to her son as a child were now becoming a nuisance to her. The talents she was so proud of were now biting her skin.

The neutral face of her son was adding to her fury.

"We do not have that privilege anymore. The western and southern borders are under red alert. A war is knocking at our doors and you are acting aloof. Marrying a princess of high status will bring peace and quiet to the kingdom. That should be your first priority. Not love." She huffed a little, catching her breath as she spoke too fast fearing Jungkook would cut her sentence.

"Peace is not something that can be attained by politics and dirty games. It is attained by revolution and revolution needs war and blood shed. There is no other way to open people's eyes."

"What are you talking about?" The woman gasped with a hand to her mouth." You are actually thinking of going to the war. This is madness. Have you lost your-"

"And I shall remind you that you are talking to the king of Busan and not your son. I hope you keep that in your mind and do not repeat that mistake again." A shadow crossed his face before it quickly vanished. Before Mrs.Jeon could say anything he turned around and walked away.

"Dear lord, the future of the kingdom is in your hands now." The woman whispered, her hands shaking.

"Ahem. I think that was a little too harsh, Your Highness." The younger boy speed walked to catch up to his elder brother.

"Mother has no knowledge of how to run a kingdom and in that case she should have no opinion on this." He did not turn around and kept walking straight with his cape sweeping the floor.

"She is concerned. Expressing one's concern is no crime. Right, Your Highness?" Soobin spoke with a playful edge to his voice. Jungkook sighed and shook his head.