5

Earlier that day:

Jungkook's pov:

We visited only two villages in the last three days and the state they were in wasnt making me feel any better. The landlords and local chiefs are taking too much advantage of the position they are given. The main objective of this entire tour was to speculate how the reduce in food and fodder distribution impacted the people but there are more problems these people face than one could imagine.
It made me question my self belief and esteem...
Am i really a good King?

Before those thoughts could take over my brain and haunt me for the rest of the day, I decided to take a walk in the outskirts of the jungle to clear my head. Hardy any people visited the place so it was even better for me. I have come across wild animals but reptiles are something i despise to the core. There is really nothing likable about those creatures. If it was under my control I would have been the reason for the mass extinction of these creatures.

We were staying at a small inn in this village. I had been through tough training, therefore adapting to living in cheaper conditions wasn't as hard. On the contrary, the luxurious and enormous walls of the castle makes me feel like an uninvited guest. That place wasn't my home. The person who made me feel the closest to it was now gone.

No matter how much walking I did, the thoughts weren't leaving my mind. I had to do so much work once we go back. The people need to rely on their king for no matter how trivial or small the problems they faced. And it was me who needed to build that trust.

Looking around, I realised I had walked further inside without even realising. A sigh left my mouth before I turned around on my feet to walk my way back. I stilled on the spot when a weird hiss resonated in the quiet surroundings. Instead of abruptly turning around, I took my time and looked around to find the cause of the hiss. My eyes momentarily looked down and there was a long snake crawling and hissing towards me.

I don't know whether it was fear or shock or surprise but I couldn't move. I think I remembered being calm in such situations prevents these animals from getting aggressive.
Calm down, Jeon. It will go away if it doesn't feel threatened.
Just stay still.

Except my eye movement my entire body was frozen. It slithered its way near my feet and I lost sight of it. I felt it coiling around my leg and I couldn't help but feel disgusted. Just move away from me, I won't do anything to you!!

The moment I felt its tongue on my ankle I retracted with a jolt. I couldn't help it, it just came out as a reflex. The very next moment, a very sharp sting pricked me near my ankle making me hiss loudly. Not caring anymore, I harshly held the snake's head and pulled it away not minding the pain that came with its fangs leaving my skin.

Instantaneous anger filled my lungs as I tightened my grip almost snapping it in two and threw it away. It began crawling away making me sigh in relief. Having enough I turned again but stumbled when my vision became blurry. It took just one more step for me to fall down. Looking down on my ankle I saw the two fang marks and the skin around it becoming pale blue.

Beads of sweat formed on my forehead and came along a sharp abdominal pain making me hiss again. I need to get back before it gets too late.
I can't die. Not yet.

Y/N's pov:

Dear god! He got bit by a snake.
I instantly ran towards the man, my basket falling near him with all its content spilled. I couldn't care less for it right now. I need to do something to save this young man.
"Keep your eyes open. Refrain from moving around, Okay? You need to stay calm." He wiggled a little, not paying attention to my words. It felt like he wasn't even aware I was next to him. Scooting closer to him I tapped his cheek and he flinched at the contact.

"Wh-?" A low feeble voice left his mouth as he tried to focus his vision.
Right! He might be hallucinating. A krait's venom is a neurotoxic one which affects the nervous system of the person.

I gently cupped his cheeks again and brought his head onto my lap trying to calm him down. The survival rate of a krait's bite is 1-10% so he needed to calm down to prevent any further loss of energy.

He was sweating profusely." Mister, calm down. You'll be alright. Just focus on my voice, forget the pain for a moment and just focus on me." I whispered near his face as I moved a finger infront of his eyes. He was trying to follow it.
Yes. Focus.
"Now I need you to listen to me. You need to be treated as soon as possible and for that you need to walk. Can you walk?" I continued moving my finger and he followed as best as he could, hissing inbetween." Can you walk?" I asked again. He nodded his head in approval.
"Good."

"It- it h-hurts." He let out after several attempts.

"I know. I know but it will go away soon. Please try to get up." I got back onto my feet and tried to lift his upper body by his arms but he did not move an inch.
God! What does he eat? It almost feels like he is made of steel." A little help here." I tried talking to him again.

He slowly sat up on his elbow and I held his other arm pulling him up. It took my all to get him on his feet. Putting my hundred percent, he stood up straight and I fell down on my butt.
What a disgraceful fall infront of a man!

He did not seem to have noticed my fall.
Swiftly getting back up I held his shoulders as he was about to fall flat again. He slumped on me while I tried my best not to fall back down due to his heavy weight.
I'm so puny as compared to him. How will I take him back home?

If it were a different situation, my brain would have stopped working at such close proximity of a gorgeous stranger but it wasn't the time for it. His breath hit my neck, making me want to retract back at the tingling sensation it caused on my skin.

"Okay, now try to stand straight." I instructed him like I was his mother and he obediently tried to follow my lead." Put your arm around my shoulder- good. You're doing great, young man." Tightly gripping his arm that was around my shoulder, I encircled his waist. Despite the number of layers he wore, I could feel his muscles flexing under the warmth of my hand.
Get a grip, Y/N!!

"Try to step forward." He whined a little while moving his feet forward.

"H-how l-long?" Was he asking me how long it would take to reach back when he just took one step? Oh! This was going to be tougher than I thought.

"Not long. Just a few minutes. Keep pushing." False hope does work wonders in times of despair. Atleast you have something to hold onto, be it an illusion. Going down without a fight would be more petty than trying your best.
I don't know how long it would take to reach back. It all depended on his pace and I honestly didn't want to think of an outcome where he collapsed before reaching the destination. This memory would scar me for life and I didn't want him dead cause there must be someone waiting for him back at home. Those people would be devastated if they found out he wouldn't be returning home. Ever.

It takes about four to five hours to die from a krait's bite. I needed to get him back in less than one or two cause the poison would have spread way too much in his body for the medicines to work.
Lets do this!

I want to die!
I don't know why! I don't know how! But somehow I managed to bring him back to the village in less than an hour. He fussed all while long, stumbled multiple times and almost made me lose my arm that I had to slap some sense into him. Literally. Well, he wasnt going to remember any of it. Nobody has ever irritated me to the point I was actually considering leaving him there.

My back hurt and I couldn't straighten it without feeling needles being rammed into my skin. I sighed and looked past the curtains to see him laying on my bed. Father too had panicked when he saw me bringing an anonymous, extremely pale person into the cottage. He wasn't as much into medicine and herbs but he knew enough, so he helped me get the venom out of his system. I made him drink a herbal tonic right after. He again fussed over not drinking it cause it tasted horrible. So I had to force it down his throat while blocking the air passage through his nose.

Now he looked so peaceful while sleeping giving me a chance to finally admire his serene features.

***