𝟓 | 𝐥𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐡

"Ugh... what the fuck." I wake up with a banging headache. The clothes I went out in yesterday were still on me and my breath just smelled like wine. I layed in bed until I felt I could get on my feet and then I quickly went to the bathroom.

There I took a long shower, brushed my teeth and did my make-up for the day, spraying some heavy perfume on myself so I wouldn't smell awful anymore. After putting on a long, red silky robe I traveled downstairs lazily, checking the lobby area and the bar. The only person I could see was Charlie, sitting down by the couches and drawing, probably making plans for the next workshop. Did I wake up early or something?

I said a quick "good morning" to her, not willing to disturb her work and I sat by the bar. My stomach grumbled with hunger as I leaned over the counter, trying to look if Husk has any food behind the bar.

"A very lovely morning! What might you be doing out of bed so early?"

The energetic voice of the Radio Demon surprises me and I get back in my seat, a little panicked I cursed under my breath. "Holy fuck, what a freak." I saw his head turn to the side, a wide, almost manic smile plastered on his face.

I looked at him with raised eyebrows, he was just staring at me blankly. What a weirdo.

"Good... morning? I was just... looking if there is anything I could eat around here." I answer his previous question.

He takes a big step forward, invading my personal space and forcing me to lean back. "Then I have the perfect deal for you! I could provide with the highest quality breakfast, something you have never eaten before!" He got closer to me anyway, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"There's a catch, isn't there?" I ask and in response he nods.

"Yes, I'll give you the breakfast, and you will have to give me something special in return. You will hardly miss it." The static and ringing in his voice was becoming louder. He extended his hand out. The room got darker and red symbols started appearing around us.

"Alastor! Stop trying to make deals with our guest, please?" Charlie raised her voice from right next to us, immediately the demon calmed down and I felt like I could breathe again. "How about we all go out for lunch today?" The princess smiled happily. "We could get to know each other better while eating some good food!" 

I smile towards Charlie, thankful for her saving me. "Sounds like a good idea."

"You think so? Oh, that's great! I will start writing down conversation topics!" Charlie hopped to a room I would assume is her workplace and I was happy to observe that the Radio Demon was nowhere to be seen.

I let out a deep breath and I tried to reminisce about yesterday's events. I can't remember anything other than ordering a bottle of wine and then getting pretty sleepy, I think the day tired me out so my tolerance was smaller than it usually is. I just hope I didn't cause any trouble for Husk when we were on our way back to the hotel...

I scroll on my phone, on an app where you can easily apply for multiple jobs and get into contact with different businesses, checking the status of my applications. Everything I have applied for has either been declined, or is still in process to the point where I'm pretty sure I won't get an answer anymore.

This whole situation is so depressing I wish I could just drown my sorrows in some alcohol, but I'm running out of money to even do that.

"You're up early." I hear a familiar, grumpy voice and I look over to see Husk walking over to the bar, with a bottle of whiskey in his hand.

"I think I've never seen you be anywhere without alcohol at an arm's reach away from you." I chuckle and watch him stretch his arms out. I stand up from my seat and walk behind the bar, standing next to him, which seems to surprise him a bit. I take out a cup from a cupboard and start brewing myself some coffee.

"Could've asked me to do that, I get paid for it, you know."

I shrug. "You don't know how I like it, though." I smile, watching the coffee pour into my cup.

He goes silent, and starts watching the cup as well. I grab two sugar packets and pour in one into the coffee, mixing it with a spoon. Then I pour in the second one, mixing it into the coffee as well. He watches me make the coffee with an analytic face. I smile to myself, pick up the cup and bring it up to my lips, I kiss the side of the cup with a loud "mwah" noise, and then I take a sip.

"Ahh, perfect, just how I like it." I look at his face, now an unamused, grumpy emotion coating it, and I laugh, taking a seat back by the bar, slowly sipping my coffee. "We're going out to lunch with the rest of the crew today, learn some more stuff about each other."

He smirks at me, his sharp yellow teeth showing. "I think I learned enough about you." He took a sip of his whiskey, wiping his lips afterwards.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I furrow my eyebrows, was there more to yesterday's night than I remember?

"That's for me to know, and for you to figure out." He keeps eye contact with me, throwing me a smug smile.

Soon after our conversation Angel Dust comes walking downstairs, looking great like he always does. Charlie and Vaggie come out of the workroom and Niffty appears from a random corner in the lobby. It looks like Alastor won't be joining us for this workshop either.

↜₍^ -༝-^₎

We walk in pairs to a lunchroom where Charlie apparently made reservations at, I walk next to Angel Dust not far away from the rest of the group.

"So, what's up with you and kitty over there?" He asks, half whispering. I turn my head to face him.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, you know what I mean, don't play dumb. He came back yesterday carrying you around, wasted." I groaned at the thought and slapped my forehead with my palm. "But that wasn't even the weird part! He was smiling, [Y.N], and I've never seen him do that before." I raised my eyebrow, I knew he was a grumpy guy but has nobody actually seen him enjoy himself?

"No, but-"

"I mean he laughs when he makes fun of other people, but he was smiling... in a way I haven't seen him do since I met him." He paused his thoughts for a moment. "What did you do? Did you guys f-" I cleared my throat, cutting him off, and shaking my head 'no' aggressively.

"No, none of that. I just had too much to drink and I bet he was trying not to throw me down an alleyway the whole way back." I smiled and I saw the spider demon roll his multiple sets of eyes.

After finally arriving at our destination, our group was welcomed in by a couple imps and escorted to a more secluded area, where we could sit with a bigger group. Having only seen pubs, clubs and sex shops so far, I was very surprised to see a quite cozy restaurant. We were all handed menu's and asked what we want for a drink. Everyone mostly ordered teas and coffees but Husk, disappointed at the lack of alcohol in the drinks menu, took out his own booze and started sipping on it.

We ordered a various amounts of dishes, since their lunch menu was a combination of breakfast and lunch, providing us with many options and we sat waiting. Charlie was trying to make conversation but as she was talking I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

I opened it to see I was getting called by an unknown number. "You'll have to excuse me for a second." I walked away from the table and out of the front door and I answered the phone. "Hello? This is [Y.N]."

"Yes, we know. We viewed your application and you have been accepted to work momentarily as an intern, so we can approve of your skills and then accept you as an actual employee. You can start working tomorrow."

My eyes widened. "Oh, okay, wow. Could I ask... who is this?"

"VoxTek, obviously." I hear the phone hang up and a big smile appears on my face.

I finally have a job again!

↜₍^ -༝-^₎

bit of a filler but it will be significant for the plot later.

hope you're enjoying the book so far!