𝟏 | 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐲

≽^- ˕ -^≼

I enter the club through the back door and try to run as fast as I can to the changing room. I was in a hurry because my boss just called me and said if I show up in the next 15 minutes she'll pay me double for an entire shift. I threw on my working outfit, which was a short black skirt and a tight black polo and I quickly checked myself in with my number. I looked at the clock and let out a sigh of relief when I saw I was one minute early.

I walked out of the back room and walked towards the bar, noticing that the club is not exactly full, so I started wondering why they needed an extra set of hands. I leaned against the bar and spoke to Spike, our barman.

"Anything special happening tonight?" I watched him as he poured a couple glasses of whiskey.

"Ahh if it isn't my favorite sinner [Y.N]!" He completely ignored my question. "Say, do you know anything about gambling?" The demon in front of me crossed his fingers next to his face, hoping I say yes.

"Yeah, like poker or blackjack..." I looked at his fingers, my face grimacing, I didn't have a good feeling about this.

"Amazing!" His eyes lit up and he pushed the tray towards me, on it was three glasses of whiskey and a whole bottle. "Take this to the VIP room, will you?" He smiled towards me.

"You won't explain what's happening, will you?" I asked, grabbing the tray and holding it up to head level.

"Nope! Just, make sure to be on your best behavior." He smiled widely and annoyed, I started walking towards out VIP room.

I've never been inside there, I was only told that the club has a client who comes in often to gamble with other high status demons for fun, and somehow, he always wins. I push the curtain to the room to the side and immediately I noticed the heavy amounts of smoke in the dimly lit room.

Besides one guy who I know to also be a waiter standing by the curtain I see 4 figures sitting down by a round poker table, one of them immediately catching my eye. A demon with a cat-like appearance, big pointy ears and fluffy cheeks. He's wearing a top hat and suspenders and a red bow-tie, markings all over his coat with symbols of hearts. He has an impressive set of wings, a theme of red, black and and the symbols of a regular playing cards deck all over them. 

He wears a bored look on his face as one of the other demons deals cards, next to him are mountains of poker chips and that gives me a good clue he is in fact, the important client who "somehow, always wins". I come closer and stand by his left, placing the bottle of whiskey next to him, assuming it's for him, and then dealing the whiskey glasses to the rest of the demons.

"Well, Mord, what will it be?" He asks a smaller demon sitting directly in front of him, the demon having a worried expression on his face, looking up at him.

I walk towards the exit but I'm stopped by the other waiter grabbing my wrist and with his head gesturing for me to stand on the other side of the curtain. I nod and stand by the wall, looking at the table.

"Shut up, Husk." The smaller demon responds, clutching the cards harder in his hand. He then put a suitcase on top of the table, opening it to reveal neatly stacked bills of money. "You're going down, pussy."

The other demons eyes lit up as they push chips onto the middle. Husk smiles cockily and then he pushes the two mountains of chips he has. "You're on." I see his eyes flicker with excitement and then he locks eyes with the waiter next to me. I look at the guy next to me and his eyes flicker pink for a second. I furrow my eyebrows and look back at the cat demon.

The two demons on the side reveal their cards, one of them has a "flush", earning them 5 points, the other reveals a "four of a kind" which earns them a fair 7 points. Husk looks at Mord, waiting for him to reveal his cards, Mord throwing his hands onto the table.

"Straight flush, pussy." He looks at the demon in front of him with a 'beat that' type of look, confident about his cards. Although he earned a lot of points, he still didn't earn the highest amount.

A Royal Flush means an instant win, did Husk have that? If he didn't there's no way he would beat Mord. But a Royal Flush literally never happens so early into the game.

The winged demon gently puts his hand down on the table, the room fell silent. I stand on my tiptoes so I can look at the cards and I see in series cards from an ace down to a ten, hearts. I hear a chuckle and look up at the demon's face.

"Thank you for the free booze, guys. I need to get going." He takes the whiskey bottle and drinks the entire thing in a couple of gulps, slamming it back down on the table as he stands up. He closes the suitcase, and picks it up from the handle.

The demon named Mord is just sitting in his chair, defeated, silent, while the other two are cackling loudly and pointing at him, making fun of his misfortune. As Husk is walking towards the curtain he locks eyes with me, an amused smirk on his face. I look back at him with an angry look at my face. This guy cheated during the game! He used some type of magic to get the waiter to signal him if it's a safe move, or the cards? It doesn't matter, this guy is a cheat.

He raises one eyebrow at me but doesn't seem to care enough and he walks through the curtain. I look at the waiter with the same angry look and he looks at me confused. I sigh and walk out as well, looking around if I can find the demon, I see the vibrant colors of his outfit and coating and I walk towards the bar. I see him handing the suitcase to Spike, the bartender, who quickly counts the money inside the suitcase and hands him a crate with the same bottles of whiskey that I gave him to drink. This dude is spending all the money he won on alcohol? What the fuck is wrong with him?

He walks out of the bar carrying the crate and I rush after him, I look left and right and when I see his back I run over and start walking next to him. "You fucking cheated! That game was never fair to begin with." I raise my voice at him and he looks at me with a surprised look.

"It's called a hustle, sweetheart. They should've done the same." He looked in ahead again and I felt my heart begin to beat faster because of the anger building up.

"That man probably has no means to live now! I wouldn't doubt it was his last fortune by the look of despair in his face, do you not feel any remorse?" I throw my hands up in the air, gesturing towards the bar.

"I didn't end up in hell because I was a good person, lady. And it wasn't my fault if he did bet his last fortune now, was it?" He kept walking, not even looking my way anymore.

"And the worst thing!" I stand in front of him, blocking his way. "You spend all that money on some booze? Do you have any respect for yourself? You could do so much with that money, who do you think you are?"

He sighs deeply. "An alcoholic. Now, I have better things to do than listen to some bitch whining in my ears." He walked forward, bumping my shoulder, and leaving me with more anger than I felt in a while.

I watched people get ruined because of gambling, and he probably cheats all the time! Robbing people off their hard earned money, he can probably manipulate the cards he get, that's how he wins every damn time. And he just spends everything on some alcohol? What a waste of money, feeding into his alcoholism.

I turn around to scream names at him but he has already disappeared from my sight. Trying to calm down I walk back to the club, ready to get yelled at for just storming out of work to yell at a highly valued customer.

I open the door and there I see my boss, her eye twitching as she holds my clothes that I left in the back room in her hands. "For obvious reasons, you're fucking fired." She throws the clothes at me and pushes me out of the front door.

"Fuck sake."

≽^- ˕ -^≼