An Art

When we arrive at 221b, we hear screaming upstairs.

Specifically Mrs Hudson's.

Sherlock and I exchange worried glances as he reaches for the gun in his coat, and I grab a fork that was on the floor.

Sherlock slowly makes his way up, as I stay close behind.

When we get to the floor, we see the unexpected. Which in this case, should have been expected.

"Let her go, Moriarty. She's done nothing, she has nothing do with any of this!" Sherlock panics, as Moriarty stands smiling next to Mrs Hudson, who's bounded by rope to a chair as a man holds a knife up to her wrinkled neck.

My eyes wide as I stand behind Sherlock, and Moriarty averts his cold stare and smile to me:

"Oh, darlin'...I've missed you already."

I don't reply with anything but a death glare as I stare daggers into his eyes.

"Aw...was the sex really that bad?" He frowns playfully.

"You're disgusting." I spit.

"Drop your weapons or I'll have Sebastian slit her scrawny little neck." Moriarty sneers.

"Tell us what you want, James...just don't hurt anyone..." Sherlock says, slowly lowering his gun.

I drop my fork, and shake my head, as they all look at me.

"Jim...just tell me what you want. I'll give you anything if you leave Sherlock, and everyone he loves alone. I know it's about me. You've been playing with my boyfriend for years, until I awoke. You messed with him because of me. Tell me, what do you want from me?" I say, staring at him blankly.

"Oh, Y/N...Y/N, Y/N, Y/N...you'll never understand." He replies, laughing a hollow, dark laugh.

"Why-"

"Because you wouldn't understand!" He cuts me off mid-sentence loudly.

Moriarty gestures for Sebastian to leave the room, and when he does there's a long pause of silence filled with tension before I reply again, quieter this time:

"Tell me."

He walks closer to me, and when he's close enough, he reaches for my hand taking it slowly - but gently.

I let him.

"Tell me...what happened, Jim?" I find it harder to speak when I see his soft, hurt expression.

"I loved you, Y/N. So much...much more than..." He trails off, glancing coldly at Sherlock who has an expression filled with confusion.

"I know I'm mentally unstable...I know you don't love me back, but...you were so mean. I had gone through rejection all my life...when I saw you I knew you were the one. I also knew you wouldn't like me, but..." Moriarty pauses and sniffs look down at the ground as he curls his fingers around my own.

I wait quietly for him to finish, a small throb in my heart pounds with deep regret when he looks back up at my face, his eyes filled with tears:

"I was hoping you'd reject me less painfully than the rest."

His words hit me hard and my eyes widen:

"I-I...I love you, Jim."

"No, you don't..."

"I can try...if you promise to leave Sherlock and everyone alone."

He shakes his head and laughs dryly, pulling me in for a hug:

"I've hurt you so much to the point where it's impossible for you to love me, Y/N."

I hold back my tears and ball my fists:

"You're right...I want nothing more...than to burn you. With my own hands. I want to see you burn at the stake, screaming my name in agonizing pain."

"I know..." He says softly, as he strokes my hair.

"But I can't do that now." I tell him.

"Why?" He asks, pulling away to look at me.

"Because I wouldn't be able to."

Jim nods, understanding what I meant, before pulling out a small dagger from his suit, handing it to me:

"Tell the police...it was self defense. Oh, and Sherlock?" He averts his attention to an emotionally confused curly-haired detective.

"Yes?" He answers, hesitation in his voice.

"Our game was fun. Take good care of Y/N...or I'll skin you." Jim smiles sadly, as he takes my hand that is holding the dagger and pulls it into his chest, so that I stab him.

Hot tears trickle down my cheeks as I cover my mouth and stumble backwards into Sherlock who quickly catches me in his arms before I can lose my footing.

"It's okay, Y/N...to die...is an art." Jim gasps out his last words as I sob into Sherlock's arms that embrace me tightly.