Chapter 4

Anuradha
18 years old

"Anu, aaj Shiv ke dost ke bhai ki shaadi hai, tu aur shiv dono chale jana" Ma ji said coming in the kitchen.
(Anu, you and Shiv go to his friend's wedding)

"Ji"
(Ok)

"Aur sunn apna Saman ab Shiv ke kamre mei rakh de. Aaj se tu whi rahegi"
(And listen from now on you'll live in Shiv's room so keep your things there)

"Thik hai Ma ji" I replied ignoring the butterflies in my stomach.
(Ok mom)

I took out my belongings from Dadi ma's cupboard and took them to my husband's room. I don't have much to myself. Just my clothes. My jewellery is with Ma ji as she can keep it safe.

I enter my husband's room. It is bigger than Dadi ma's room. I have seen his rooms many times but never stayed for too long. I opened his closet so I could set my clothes.

"Kya kar rhi hai tu yaha?" My husband's sound rang loudly in the room. I turned around to look at him. He was covered in sweat as he returned from the fields.
(What are you doing here?)

" wo mei mei..."
(Actually I.. I..)

"Kya mei mei. Jaldi bol"
(What I I? Speak fast)

"Ma ji ne kaha ki aaj se mei iss kamre mei rahugi"
(Mom said that I'll stay in this room from now on)

He left a sigh and nodding at me, he went to the bathroom. So I started making space for my clothes. His clothes were not arranged properly and was kind of messy. So I first started with  folding them properly and arranging them. When I got done with his clothes. I started putting my clothes in.

"Mera safed kurta de" his voice came out shocking me. This man is going to give me heart attack some day. I took out his kurta from neatly arranged pile and immediately closed my eyes on seeing him. He was standing in the middle of the room in just a towel.
(Give me my white kurta)

"Aankhe khol" he whispered in my ears. I shaked my head.
(Open your eyes)

"Anuradha" upon hearing his stern voice I opened my eyes but couldn't stop blushing. Breaking our eye contact I looked downwards.

"Kurta?" He asked in a nonchalant voice. I forwarded his kurta. He took it from me and said "Tu bhi ready hoja ab"
(You should also get ready)

I nodded. Wearing his clothes, he walked out of the room. I tried to control my rapidly beating heart. I wore my slightly heavy pink saree. Ma ji gave me a necklace to wear. So I wore that too. Being ready, I adjusted my pallu on my head and walked up to him who was sitting in the verandah with his brothers his brothers. Seeing me he got up and started his jeep.

Ma ji gave me some gifts to give it to the bride amd groom.

"Dhyaan se jana aur time se aajana"
(You both go carefully)

"Hnji"
(Yes mom)

I sat in the jeep beside him. This was the first time we were going alone somewhere and I sat on the front seat. I felt giddy. Upon reaching I went inside where all the women have gathered. They all were laughing and singing. I gave the gifts and sat beside them.

"Anuradha teri shaadi ko toh itne saal hogye, tu khushkabari Kab de rhi hai?" One of them asked me and I blushed. They were asking me when will i get pregnant? I thought soon. Once I asked Dadi ma how do babies come inside mother's belly. She said husband and wife have to be together, sleep together and do somethings together. When I asked what things, she refused to explain me further and said "Wo tujhe apne aap pata chal jaega"
(Anuradha you have been married for so many years, when are you going to give us good news?)
(You'll get to know on your own)

After eating and congratulating the couple, we left. The journey was filled with silence. I kept sneaking glances at him while he was fully concentrated on the road. He has full grown beard now. He doesn't shave it. Well he shouldn't it suits him a alot. I thought and smiled.
Upon reaching I went inside the kitchen to help Ma ji who was busy making rotis.

"Sunn bahu" she said when I was boiling milk.
(Listen)

"Abse tu apne Pati ke saath rahegi"
(From now on you'll stay with your husband)

"Ji" I blushed and she looked at me with sympathy.
(Yes)

"Abse tujhe apne biwi hone ke saare farz nibhane hai"
(So you have to behave like a good wife and carry out all your duties)

I looked at her confused, not knowing what she meant.

"Dekh pehle tujhe Thoda dard hoga phir aadat hojaegi. Aur yaad rakhio apne Pati ko kabhi bhi mana mat kario"  I nodded at her. My ma also told me the same thing when she visited me last month. Keeping her hand at my head, she left.
(You'll feel pain first but then you'll get used to it. And remember never say no to your husband)