Chapter 1

Anuradha
11 years old

Everybody was happy around me and i could feel their enthusiasm. Today is my wedding. I don't know much about it but i get to wear pretty clothes, good food and ma told me now i will live with my husband. My husband, I don't even know his name. He looks 2-3 years older than me. He is sitting beside me while the pandit ji chant mantras. We both go round and round around the fire. I know these are called pheras. Ma told me. My veil is lifted a bit so he can apply sindoor.

"Shiv beta, lo mangalsutra pehnao" I hear a woman say and he follows the instructions. His name is Shiv. Ma told me to not call him with his name. So what will I call him?
(Shiv son, tie the nuptial chain)

As all the rituals complete, time for vidai comes. I feel sad as i have to leave my Ma, Baba and bhai. My sisters are already married. I cry very badly.

"Ma, mujhe nhi jana" I cry while hugging my ma. I don't want to leave her. But she detached me from herself. She is also crying.
(Mom, I don't want to go)

"Ab tere Pati ka ghar hi Tera Ghar hai" she says and slightly pushes me. My mother- in - law takes me to the car. I have never sat in a car before. I cry the whole journey while my husband sits beside me looking irritated. When we reach my new home, it looks so much bigger than my old home. I was asked to push the pot filled with rice. After doing so many rituals I was sent to Dadi ma's room to sleep.
(From now on your husband's house is your house)

Shiv
13 years old

It's been a month since I got married to this duffer. She keeps following me around all the time.

"Mera peecha karna band kar" I shout.
(Stop following me)

"Kyu?" She asks
(Why)

"Kyunki tu mujhe pagal lagti hai"
(Because I find you stupid)

Her eyes well up with tears and I feel guilty. But Baba taught us that we are supposed to be strong so I say nothing. She runs away from me. Well good riddance. Now I can go and play with Manish.