10: This Is 'Bugging' Me, Gimme Coffee!!

As everyone played games, the recreational part (or whatever it was called) of the sports festival being necessary for some reason, I sat under a tree and took a nap.

Once I woke up, I found Shinso shaking me.
"Hey, it's almost time for our match."

I shot up, "Oh shit!"

"We're not late, relax."

I did and apologised a billion times over for almost sleeping trough the match.
We started walking and I found a bug on me. Curse nature. Putting the bug on the ground safely, I only hoped Shinso wouldn't see.

"Thanks for not letting me sleep trough it," I said before we parted, "And good luck."
Shinso gave me a slight smile. Really, I hadn't expected for him to smile as much. Then again, Todoroki wasn't a total emotionless human most of them time either.

As I walked onto the arena, a cement platform made by cementos, I could predict what would happen.
I knew that Shinso would try to get me to talk.

Now I knew that I had to get to the next round. Sorry Shinso, but... I don't want to accidentally destroy reality.
All I had to do was keep my mouth shut, and teleport Shinso out of there.

Easy?
Yeah, you would think so.

Shinso eyed the ground.
"I'm going to kill this bug—"

"Don't you fucking dare you—!"
Everything started to feel foggy and I knew that I had messed up.

Oops.

Guess this is the end—

Realising how I was giving up too soon yet again, I tried to think. Shinso's voice in the back off my head forced me to step. No I know what I said just before, but what if I could use my quirk while I was brainwashed.
I was stepping on a solid surface.
All I had to do was gather enough focus on a location.

The chances were slim that I'd be able to teleport once, though maybe if I nailed it, I could get hit by, I don't know, the ground? And then I'd wake up and teleport Shinso out of the line.
It could work. Though, I needed to be sure it succeeded before I tried.

Nearing the white line, I realised that I should just go for it.
This was the real meaning behind plus ultra!

Appearing behind Shinso, I fell back on the ground, the fall knocking me awake.
His shock lasted for only a second before Shinso prepared to talk. Quickly I jumped to my knees, using one leg to kick Shinso's leg, having him fall on the ground.
Jumping up once more I made a plan.

When Shinso jumped up he went to attack me.
As practiced I dodged. While fighting Shinso hand to hand, we neared the line behind me.
Shinso prepared to throw a last punch and in a desperate hope I jumped to the side just before he could hit me.

Him stumbling and a push in his back send Shinso over the line, out of bounds.

...
Wait, hold up, did I just win again!?

Huh??

As Midnight told the audience who had won, I felt myself getting sick as the cheers from the crowd rose up.
Me and Shinso shook hands, me not meeting his gaze as I felt guilty as shit.

Before Shinso could walk away angrily I spoke up.

"Was there actually a bug?"

Shinso paused.
"You're actually worried about a bug?"
I opened my mouth to say yes before I paused, and then Shinso let out a laugh.
"You were," he realised.

Shaking my head in disbelief, I just told Shinso what I wanted.
"I'm sure that one day you'll become the best hero. Really.
"Your quirk is powerful, I was just lucky to be able to use mine."